Adsense

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Kids are Geniuses

Well, not really, but sometimes they just blow my mind with the things they say (N) and the things I notice them learning (G).

This morning, D was watching Where in God's Name is Matt Lauer on the Today Show. Matt was in Laos. N was watching it, waiting for D to finish his cereal and turn on her kid shows. All of a sudden she said, "That is near China." Holy Cow! How does she know that? From watching Mulan, that's how. She recognized the distinctive physical features of the people and buildings and remembered seeing similar things from the movie. I am SOOOOO OVER worrying about her watching children's television.

(After N said this, I said, "Boy, Daddy, we have a smart girl, and then there's goober," focusing my eyes on G who was sitting on the floor playing. He looked up at me and grinned his slobbery, 2-tooth smile. "He can't figure out how to sleep through the night," I remarked.)

But then later on Goober G redeemed himself. I was fixing supper, and he was sitting on a blanket on the kitchen floor with his toys spread out around him. He kept slapping the floor next to him, but remained very content and quiet. After he had been at it for awhile, I realized what he was doing. He kept seeing my shadow move around on the floor and was trying to catch it. Pretty darn smart for a 7-month-old. Now the sleeping part needs some of his focus and attention.

No comments: