Friday, February 4, 2011

A week of oddities

This has not been a great week.

Monday afternoon I was sitting at the computer when all of a sudden I felt sick.  It was like someone flipped a switch on me.  One second=fine.  The next second=yucky.  Within a couple hours, I could tell I had some kind of stomach bug.  I had no appetite but managed to fix dinner for D and the kids.  I went to bed early.

At some point during the night, I awoke to the sensation of every drop of water in my body rushing to my intestines in an effort to flush itself of the invading virus.  That is never a pleasant way to awaken out of a deep sleep.  I quickly got out of bed and began walking to the bathroom.  The next thing I heard was "THUD!," which is how my head sounds when it hits the floor.  I had passed out.  D came running over to me and helped me to the toilet.  I felt sweaty (as I do when my blood sugar plummets) and began stripping off my shirts.  Afterwards I just laid on the cool tile floor, with a ziplock bag of ice on the back of my head.  The remainder of the night was spent in our small dressing area right outside the bathroom.

Tuesday D stayed home just in case I passed out again.  Wednesday I felt better but still not good.  Thursday I felt well enough to run some errands, which included getting my allergy shot.

And then last night, as I was rocking G before putting him into bed, I began to feel vertigo, a sensation I haven't felt in over 10 years.  I have a history of vertigo that began after D and I returned from our honeymoon and didn't abate until quite awhile after I began taking allergy injections.  My right ear once again has a sensation that little elves spent the night shoving cotton balls into its deepest recesses.


So I will very soon be heading to the clinic to hopefully get a script for meclizine, which I used to have to carry around with me at all times for those vertiginous moments.  And to ensure my irrational mind that the passing out spell and vertigo aren't symptoms of a brain tumor.

Oh, and last night I was awake from 1-something until about 5-something with both the boys, who apparently planned for M to be awake for hours on end moaning and G to pop out of bed at least twice in an effort to completely undo me.

The fates are fucking with me this week.


Keri said...

Oh, wow, what a mess of a week you've had!! I've never passed out before in my life, but I imagine it's a pretty scary thing - afterwards, I mean, since you probably don't realize beforehand that it's going to happen.

I'm glad that there's something to be done medically about the vertigo, even if it's unpleasant to know that it's a force in your life again. What about the passing out episode? Do you think that was a virus, or some kind of pre-cursor to the vertigo?

The Muser (aka Beautiful Mama) said...

Fucking fates! That just seriously sucks. So sorry. :( Hope the meds help and that next week is WAY better.

Kelsey said...

Ugh, Carrie, I hope things turn around soon. It sounds like an awful week. I wish I had something helpful to say, but I guess all I can say is hang in there? I'm sorry!