Adsense

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas presents to me

Normally I loathe spending money on myself, but today I decided that I needed a reward for being the magic behind all this Christmas stuff we do.  The gift-buying, the gift-wrapping, 90% of the holiday decorating (although my husband deserves kudos for putting up the big tree and doing the lights on it today), all of the holiday baking/cooking/card-sending---yep, that's my job.

So today when shopping for groceries and baby wipes and Papaw's Christmas gift at Meijer, I saw two things that I decided I was gonna buy for myself and not feel one iota of guilt about either purchase.

1. I used to have a step basket on the steps for holding all the miscellaneous items that the kids drag downstairs that eventually need to go back upstairs, but D griped about it constantly.  He says the kids kept tripping over it, but our kids trip over their own two feet most everyday, so I doubt the basket was to blame.  I put a big wicker-type basket in the entryway, but I didn't like how it looked or functioned.

When I spotted this open bookshelf at Meijer for $39.99, I decided it would hold lots of items and look half-way decent too.  It was already put together, so that was a bonus.


2. My neighbor and I are now splitting a share in a CSA, as we did last year, and I have decided I am sick to death of the drudgery that is cleaning salad greens.  It is darn near impossible to rinse those things and dry them out without resorting to the low cycle.  I have long wanted one of these but never got one because heaven forbid I buy anything for myself that seems at all extravagant.  (How sad is my life that this item is extravagant.)





In truth, these items are REALLY for the family, for the running of the house and shouldn't be counted as fun, personal items for me.  D buys and plays Modern Warfare 4,000, and I buy a shelf and a salad spinner to clean up after the kids and fix supper.  I think this means I am the grown-up.  

1 comment:

Keri said...

You will NOT regret buying the salad spinner. They're awesome.

Although I must add that yes, I do agree that your life must be a bit sad if you consider a salad spinner extravagant. I just wiped a tear from my left eye.... ;-)