Adsense

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The October surprise

In October my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.

The day before their actual anniversary, my brother and I held a surprise wedding blessing and party for them at their church.  We started planning it in August, making it the longest 2 months of my life since I couldn't talk about it with my mother, whom I talk to about virtually everything.

Much skulking around was needed to pull this thing off.  I had to scan through all the joke emails they send me to pull email addresses for their friends whom I don't personally know.  I had to do some B&E at their home in September and early October when they were out of town to check their address book, borrow some CDs to burn songs onto my iPod, and "steal" the champagne glasses they used at their wedding (that D and I used at our wedding 14 years ago and my brother and SIL used at their wedding 10 years ago).

On the invitations, I put my home phone number as the RSVP contact info, meaning I had to unplug my answering machine whenever my mom was here and I ran errands so she wouldn't hear someone leave a message about the event.

A few days before the event I called the welcoming committee chairperson at Mom and Dad's church to ask if she would call my parents to get them to "usher" at Saturday's 5:00 mass.  It took mom awhile to finally understand that she didn't actually have to usher....that it was our ploy to ensure they showed up to mass.

We ordered a beautiful wedding cake, made a Shutterfly photo album of pictures of them from the past 40 years, and purchased a commemorative plate on which guests could sign their names.

The day after the party I felt like I'd been hit by a truck----exhausted like never before.  I've planned events in the past and never had this kind of visceral feeling after all was said and done.  I think it was the secret-keeping that did me in, the anxiety that someone could let the cat out of the bag.

But it was wonderful.  My dad's two Air Force buddies and their wives (from Ohio and New Jersey) came down, as did many of dad's former co-workers at General Electric.  Mom's quilting group friends attended, as did neighbors and family members.  Mom and Dad were shocked to see so many unexpected faces.


The groom kissing the bride.  
















My family.

2 comments:

Tiff said...

Just me coming out of the woodwork to tell you how much I loved this post! It made me so happy that I teared up a little. I think what you all did for your parents on their anniversary was fantastic and truly memorable. Awesome.

Keri said...

This is awesome! I can only imagine how hard it was to keep this secret. I'm sure your parents were blown away. What a wonderful use of your time, energy and creativity to bless your parents, and what a wonderful memory it will be for your whole family forever!