Adsense

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Me and my big ideas

In my 38 years, I have discovered that I often get ideas that seem to come from nowhere.  I just get a notion of something I'd like to do.  Soon after this idea takes seed in my mind, it seems there are always these strange conversations with people or I meet a person with a skill or information that reinforces whatever idea was taking shape in my head.  These serendipitous events make me think that I should run with my idea.  That maybe this is the universe saying, "Go for it."

I always, always listen to these instinctive gut reactions I have.

My most recent "big idea" started in the late summer/early fall.  I determined that it was important to me that my children be exposed to a musical instrument.  Neither of my parents play instruments so they never encouraged it.  As a child I took 10 years of dance lessons but never had any desire to do music.  I attended Catholic school from grade 1 to 12 that did not offer band or orchestra (another reason why I'm pro-public education).  Our music classes were students singing.  I don't even remember being instructed on how to play the kazoo.

As an adult, my lack of musicality bothers me.  I wish I could play some kind of instrument.  In the weeks after college before I found a full-time job, I began taking guitar lessons but once a steady paycheck and 9-5 hours called, I dropped them.  After I had N, I took an adult education guitar class for awhile.

As it normally happens, after this idea began taking shape in my head, I happened to meet someone at a dinner with friends who teaches piano to children.  I was telling her how I'd like for my kids to learn an instrument, and she gave me some information about piano lessons.  Serendipitous event #1.

A few weeks afterwards, I met my oldest and dearest friend for breakfast.  She plays piano, and her husband is a music teacher.  I told her about my big idea and about what this friend of friends told me at dinner.  I mentioned something about renting a piano.  Kris informed me that once her husband's home sold, they would be needing to get rid of his piano (since she has one in her house where they now live), and maybe D and I could buy theirs.  Serendipitous event #2.

Fast forward 4 months or so, and we now have an upright piano sitting in our dining room.  N and I are scheduled to begin piano lessons on Jan 2.

Like my fitness "boot-camp" classes I take with a couple friends under the guidance of a trainer, I need the structure of lessons and being accountable to people other than myself.  By taking lessons with N, I will be far more likely to practice because I want to set a good example for her.   We can support each other in our efforts.

I don't expect either of us to become Chopin but it would be nice to be able to play the Happy Birthday song or a Christmas carol.

Let's hope this big idea works out as well as some of my other big ideas of the past.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

I love this idea! We have toyed with the idea of music lessons as well. Our biggest issue is finding the time. We would have to drive into town for lessons and it would be so difficult with all five kids and being so far out. I am still toying with the idea and I may yet act on it. I am thinking guitar lessons because that is what Annie has expressed interest in. I suppose I wouldn't mind learning as well and I agree with you that it is a neat way to encourage your child.

Keri said...

I'm so excited that this is working out for you all! I can't wait to hear how things are going as the weeks and months roll along. And know that if there's anything at all that you're confused about, musically speaking, I'd be thrilled to answer questions or clarify concepts for you or N. Just call or email, and I'll even make a house call if you need something demonstrated! :-)