Adsense

Monday, December 19, 2011

The itch to write---aka, My life of journaling

I started keeping journals as a child.  I continued writing throughout my years of school, even going through a spell of thinking I was the next Anne Sexton or Emily Dickinson.  But who hasn't done that???


In my first journal, when I was around 10 years old, I wrote about what I did that day:  went to the grocery store with mom, ate mac & cheese for supper.  Virtually every concluding sentence was, "Today was a good day."


As I moved into junior high and early high school, I began the bad poetry shtick.  This poem is titled, "Dream Enchantment."  Good grief.


As I got older, my handwriting grew more chicken-scratchy and my mood grew more bleak.  No more "Today was a good day" endings.



When D and I became engaged, I started a journal of our engagement, which I gave to him as a surprise as part of our wedding ceremony.

I journaled about our marriage preparations.  How I felt about him.  What I expected marriage to be.  I clipped articles and cartoons about marriage.


I kept pregnancy journals throughout each pregnancy and then began journals for each of the kids.  I treasure these most of all.

N's journals.  
(First-born children get all the spoils.  Of course, much of my writing from the time N was 2-and-a-half has been blogged.)

I write down funny things they've said over time and include little notes they've written.  The note below was written by N.  It says, "I waas seik."  (I was sick)


The blogging explains why G and M only have 2 journals each.

G's journals


I keep tickets of events we take the kids to see.  This is the ticket from G's first movie-theater experience---seeing Cars 2 this past summer.  



M's journals
M obviously doesn't say much, but I do write down new words he is saying and books he wants me to read over and over and over.  

2 comments:

JENN said...

Ok chickie! Ya kinda starting to piss me off and I say this with a smile on my face and frown on my head = love that you do this and jealous that you do this. How do you do this? LOL. See in my head, this is what I want to do. In my life, shiny objects get in my way :)

Keri said...

"Today was a good day." Love it. So child-like and optimistic!

I, too, have journals dating back to...well, I think my earliest - a spiral notebook - was from 6th grade. So much fun to go back and laugh at myself and feel affectionate towards my child self....and then it gets to the teenage years and I'm amazed at my wisdom on one page, and then amazed at my foolishness on the next...and actually, the same goes for my college years....

Ah, isn't it great, though, to feel like you can revisit the person you used to be?