Adsense

Friday, August 3, 2007

Making the ob rotation (Why I Hate Obs, Part II)

I have a feeling now that I am going more frequently for my baby check-ins, I will have Part III, IV, V, and so on. It may run longer than various other series with which people are familiar like Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings.

So I saw a different dr. at my 31-week visit today whom I told about having more breakthrough intrusive thoughts and generalized anxiety blips. I mentioned that I just saw my psychiatrist 2 days ago. She then proceeded to tell me about persistent pulmonary hypertension and withdrawal symptoms in the newborn. I said, "Yes, I'm pretty well-versed in the research." I then told her I WILL NOT be switching meds while breastfeeding. Overall, she was pretty innocuous, but I was rankled nonetheless, and I shall explain why.

I truly realize doctors are rushed and see lots of patients. I realize they are only human and do the best they can.

However (taking a deep breath because this is gonna be a long-winded rant):

Could this doctor have taken 2 minutes to read my informed consent, thereby avoiding my 11,000,000th discussion with members of the practice of the risks of AD use during my pregnancy?

Is it written in the "How to be an OB" manual that each and every fricking ob I meet in the practice has to specifically name all the bad shit that could affect my son from me taking this medication?

I clearly must be their 1st and only patient with a diagnosed anxiety disorder because they appear to have no clue how much ANXIETY is caused by my having to listen repeatedly to their explanation of the risks. READ MY FUCKING INFORMED CONSENT and quit making me think about all the bad stuff that could happen.

Believe me, I know the bad stuff, and I have the amazing ability to make up even worse bad shit than what the current medical research to date has even discovered. It requires days and days of me telling myself that the overall risk of anything being wrong with this kid as a result of my Lexapro is less than 1%. Now that I'm having to go see the doctor every 2 weeks, by the time I've worked myself out of a series of panic attacks, I'll have to march in to see yet another doctor who feels compelled to discuss the risks.

I could just keep seeing my primary doctor, which would eliminate the aforementioned issue, but if we have to smoke this boy out with pitocin, I want to have a sense of which doctors are loose and easy-going and which ones are hard core freaks who play entirely too much by the rules.

With N's induction, I specifically picked the one doctor in the practice who was just downright always nice and helped make me feel relaxed whenever I saw her. If I have to be induced again, I want to at least have some idea of which doctor will likely deliver.

Mark your calendars now for the next installment of Why I Hate Obs, which will premiere in 2 weeks. Maybe in the movie version I can get Louis Black to play me. I know he's a guy, but he would do a bang-up job with the material.

No comments: