Adsense

Sunday, August 12, 2007

I love my husband, BUT

I hate to say a BUT, but there are always buts to everything. No one and nothing is perfect, and as much as it pains me to say it, this includes me. So D could start his own blog with "I love my wife, BUT," and I would understand.

Is it enough of an explanation if I say, "He bought himself an X-Box." Does that explain everything? I know some of his co-workers wives probably understand where I'm coming from because he's been telling, "So-and-so just bought a Wii," and "Another so-and-so got an X-Box." It is like a kid telling his mom who has the neatest bike or tennis shoes in an effort to convince her that he should get some too.

D comes home late enough in the day that my answer to everything is, "Whatever. I don't care," which is probably what I said when he mentioned that the price of an X-Box had dropped, and he was gonna get one.

I am not against him enjoying his life, playing computer games or occasionally spending his hard-earned money on something for himself (although I know he would argue with this statement as if his life has been drudgery since the moment he slipped the ring on my finger).

My concern, not problem, is the following:
D had a long, long, long computer game addiction that he has only "learned to better manage" in the last year or so, therefore he is susceptible to the pull of the games. Secondly, as I have mentioned to him over and over, we are expecting a 2nd child in 7 weeks, a fact that will necessitate him NOT being in the basement while I have both kids under me...at least until things settle down.

I am just hoping that I don't have to act like a nagging mom once G arrives, saying "D, get off the X-Box and come help me." But I guess if I do, it's not like I didn't warn him. He's known about this since February, same as me.

The other thing that will always remain difficult for me as long as I am a stay-at-home mom is to see D "relaxing" in the middle of my workspace on the weekends. I don't get a weekend ever. My floors still need to be mopped or swept or vacuumed on Saturdays and Sundays. Laundry still has to be done. I still cook dinner. Toys must be straightened up. So if he disappears to the basement for a couple hours to relax, I am still at work.

He spends his week away from home at the office, so being at home for him is a refresher. Not quite the same for me.

Sometimes I think it would be easier if D went on 2-3 golf trips every year, so at least I would feel like he was getting his "down time" without me having to observe it or know that it is happening beneath my feet. I say this, but I'd still probably be pissed because I don't get a whole weekend to myself. I'd find something about which to complain.

Like I said, I do love him a bunch, and I couldn't imagine being married to anyone else because despite his computer geek life and all the remotes, cables, disks, and hard drives taking up shitloads of space in our basement, I would rather be married to him than some guy who plays poker with the boys, drinks beer, and loves football. But there is always, always gonna be a BUT.

No comments: