Adsense

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Musings from the past week

There is no particular theme to today's blog. Just kinda random musings, but here is a general outline:

  • Why I am so forgetful
D and I had an epiphany this morning as to why I cannot remember anything from one second to the next and keep having entirely too many "Duh" moments: it is all the testosterone G is pumping into my system. D said I have been behaving like him...forgetting stuff, zoning out, basically acting like a man. I know I gripe alot about men and how I don't get 'em, but if this is what being a male is actually like I kinda feel sorry for them.

  • Ob Visit, 33 weeks
Saw another new doctor yesterday, but my standard response was, "Everything is fine." Amazingly, she didn't psyche me out about anything. Hurrah!

  • Doula
D and I had our first meeting with our doula, S. I guess my brain has settled down a bit because I am feeling pretty relaxed about the birth....other than a slight fear that dude will not be head down. I have started my acidophilus and pure cranberry juice regimen (ick) to hopefully ensure a negative beta strep test in 3 weeks.

Sometimes it seems a little weird that someone I really don't know is going to share my child's birth with me, but it totally works and creates a bond that never goes away. I guess maybe it is like strangers who experience a major trauma together have a shared, intense connection even though they may not stay in touch or become friends after the event. If and when they do see each other, there is that immediate bond.

S is very relaxed and even-keel, which is totally what D and I need and like.

  • N's spelling
I know lots of smart kids, but I am biased so sometimes when N does something unexpected, I think she is a certifiable genius. Anyway, she and Nana and I went outlet mall shopping earlier in the week. We were planning to visit what I thought was a toy store with the word KIDS in the title, but I told N we had to visit the potty beforehand.

She asked where the KIDS store was, and I said I wasn't going to tell her until after we had used the potty. As in most outlet centers, the store names are on the fronts of the buildings. We were on the left side of the street, and the KIDS store was on the right. She looked up and said, "There it is. K-I-D-S, KIDS store."

Holy shit! Now what surprised me is not that she spelled the letters. For weeks she has been spelling words everywhere--license plates, signs, food boxes, people's t-shirts--but she doesn't know what the words are...she has just been saying the letters. Or so I thought. How did she know that K-I-D-S spells KIDS? Maybe she just associated the bright primary colored letters with something kid-like? Who the hell knows, but I thought that was pretty darn good for a 3-year-old. (And so did Nana, but like I said, we are not the most objective parties on the planet when it comes to N.)

I sorta hate blogs this this. I love me a good ole rant about 1 particular topic, but this will have to do. Maybe D will piss me off soon.

No comments: