Adsense

Monday, July 23, 2007

Fine line between big girl and baby

Sometimes I am astounded by how "big" N has grown, and not just physically. I remember a playgroup mom telling me last fall that when a kid turns 3, he/she just seems to blossom more, get more independent, and that is really what N has done. She has gotten so much better about not needing me sitting right by her at playdates, or if she wants me beside her it doesn't take but a couple minutes for her to feel secure so I can move away. She looks forward to seeing her neighborhood friends and asks to do things with other kids. A couple weeks ago she even had her first playdate without mommy when I had a stomach bug and a friend offered to watch N for a bit.

She still tends toward the quiet side and is definitely a kid who observes before jumping headlong into an event, activity or experience (and maybe she will always be this way since that is how both D and I are; she certainly gets it honest). Once I'm familiar with people, they find that I am far less reserved than I initially appeared, but it generally takes me awhile to warm up to people.

However, I have to remember there is a fine line between that big girl that N seems to have become and a baby. Three years is still so young, and there is so much that is big and scary for her.

Today she had her first swim lesson at the pool. I signed her up back in June, thinking it would be good to do it at the pool since she is familiar with the location. Unfortunately, despite the class being for kids ages three and up, N was the youngest kid (by like a 3+ year margin).

It was absolutely NOT a class for beginners. The instructor had them start by doing "bobs" in the water. Now N is just starting to learn how to and feel comfortable with blowing bubbles, so bobbing her whole body in and out wasn't something she was anywhere near developmentally ready to accomplish.

Not surprisingly, N started crying and wanted out of that pool pronto. I got my money back and have signed her up for a true beginners class at the local YMCA. Hopefully that brief experience today doesn't make her shy away from all swim lessons.

Seeing her crying and looking scared and needing mommy really reminded me how little she still is. Maybe I'll be writing something along these lines when she is 16 and gets upset about a situation and I will think that she is still such a baby. She will always be my baby, but especially at 3, she really and truly is.

It makes me a little scared about preschool for her in the fall, but I know it will be good for her (and me). I guess since I will just drop her off that will maybe make it easier on both of us because I won't be able to hover and she will have to rely on her teachers instead of running for help and comfort from me.

No comments: