Adsense

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Same terrain, every day

I have kept journals/diaries since I was 10 years old and on the rare occasions when I've read through them I am reminded that a person doesn't really change very much over the course of a lifetime (or 30+ years), even though we all like to think we do.  We are who we are from birth.  

My moods were all over the map when I was 10, I was uber-self-reflective and obsessive.  And here we are in 2010---same thing.  Sure I'm a little wiser.  A lot more experienced.  But basically the same.  

I can slice this bread a thousand ways, but it is still bread.  

And being a mom of young children only adds a few sesame seeds to the loaf, changes the flavor up slightly, but it is still bread that I'm sawing with my serrated knife. 

I vent about the same darn issues as a mom.  Being a slave to my little ones' needs. Feeling like I do the brunt of the work.  Needing some moments of adult-time or silence to help me get through the day.  

Yesterday was especially tiring, if for no other reason than the 98% humidity, which made following G's wanderings and packing around 22 lbs of M that much harder.  Then there were the moments when all 3 of the kids wanted something from me at the exact.same.time (they plan this, ya know).  

And I thought how nice it would be to sit in the Serengeti with nothing but natural silence.  

I was able to get out last night to visit with some mom friends, drink a glass of wine and shop unencumbered at Target.  A few hours of not being needed.

Adding little M to my family stew has made it essential that I get "taking care of mommy-time" and protect it with a vengeance.   


2 comments:

Keri said...

Glad you got a chance to get out alone for a few hours. It's amazing how refreshing that can be...for a little while, anyway.

Keri said...

I think I left this comment on the wrong post. I had read the one about the mother lioness and ended up clicking on "comment" on this one. Sorry!