Adsense

Monday, June 7, 2010

A day of unexpecteds

Today wasn't a bad day, really.  Very busy.  Full of unexpecteds which, for me, is emotionally draining.

G had his 6-month ear-tube check.  I thought, "We'll go in, the ENT will have a look-see, and then we'll be on our merry way."  This is pretty much what happened, but I had surgery scheduling in my lap for the afternoon.

It turns out that one of G's tubes has come out of the eardrum but hasn't fallen out of his ear because it is apparently imbedded in another part of his eardrum.  The doctor wants to get it out so it doesn't become infected or anything weird.  And since it is embedded, to try to remove it in the office would be painful for G.

G still has a hole in the eardrum from the tube, but we are just going to leave it alone for now.  The concern is that if we patch the hole now and in 3-6 months he begins having recurrent ear infections (which I think would happen), we'd be looking at another surgery right on top of this one.  We may still be looking at a surgery to close the hole eventually, but not until he's 5 or 6.

For the moment, the other tube is fine, but the doctor may decide to replace it once he's in there and can see it better.

Last week M had croup and is still not acting right, so I asked the ENT if he'd check his ears as well.  I hated to make a special trip to the clinic for nothing.  But both of M's ears are infected, so I had to make an afternoon appointment to get some antibiotics for him.

Bookend doctor visits with 3 kids will wear a girl out.
Toss in between those some shopping to buy an Ergo carrier and groceries.
A recipe for catatonia by 8 pm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed to hear! My son got ear tubes in May. They look like they're draining yellow gunk now and I am starting to spazz out :)

Keri said...

I know that you had to take G with you because he was the purpose of the first visit, and I'm sure that M was no problem to have along for either visit...but if I could have helped you out by keeping N, I would have been glad to! I hate that you had to take all 3 of them to not one, but TWO doc appts. in one day. That's something along the lines of my worst nightmare. Please let me know in the future if I can help you out!

Of course, maybe N was useful for keeping G entertained some of the time? I know that at this point, I could probably use Bailey for keeping Jonah distracted just a little bit. Although I'm not sure there's anything a big sister could do that could compete with the fascination of all of the "no-no's" at a doctor's office...