Adsense

Friday, March 12, 2010

I stand (sorta) corrected

I heard from a couple readers who said they ovulated and began their periods very shortly after birth even while breastfeeding.  Let me say, "I'm sorry."  Not about what I said, but that you got your periods shortly after delivery.  That sucks.

However, I still stand by my mostly uneducated assumption that most women who get pregnant soon after childbirth formula feed.

My reasoning?  If you look at the statistics, a huge majority of women do not breastfeed past 3 months or breastfeed while supplementing with formula.   In my pathetic little state, only 9.4% of women breastfeed exclusively at 6 months postpartum.

1 comment:

Robin said...

To be able to use breastfeeding as a method of birth control you have to meet certain criteria, including:

1) No bottles
2) No pumping
3) No pacifiers
4) Breastfeeding on demand
5) Still breastfeeding at night

The VAST majority of mothers do not meet these criteria, even when still exclusively nursing at 3 or 6 months. (There are a few others too.)