Adsense

Thursday, March 4, 2010

An attempt to be healthier

In general I think I'm fairly healthy.  Sure, I have allergies and take shots.  Sure I take my Lexapro and see a shrink every 4 months.  Sure I had gestational diabetes while preggo with my daughter.  But otherwise, thankfully, my health has been alright.

For the last few years, D's company has had a wellness program for employees whereby the employees who sign up take a health assessment (blood work, questionnaire) and get cheaper premiums.  This year, they opened it up to employee's spouses.

So yesterday morning, I trekked to D's work to have my blood pressure taken, blood drawn and my girth measured.

My blood pressure was 103/73.
My Body Mass Index is 21.4.
My waist circumference is 30.

Considering I'm not quite 5 months postpartum, I think that is pretty good.
But I know I can do better, if for no other reason than to encourage my kids to live healthier.

Now I'm not gonna give up ice cream or chocolate or pizza or wine or my once-a-year steak.   I'm just going to try better to eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains.  The same stuff I do now, just moreso.  Be more conscientious of what I'm eating.  Prior to having M, I was doing a much better job of fixing healthier food, but having a new baby in the house necessitated faster food options (not fast food, but not made from scratch food either).

I am looking forward to warmer weather so we can reinstitute our family walks, which is one of my favorite family traditions.  Most every evening we go for a walk in our neighborhood as a family, and it is so nice.  D and I actually get a chance to talk, since N and G run ahead chasing each other.  And we see neighbors or things about our neighborhood that we don't always notice when we're driving through.

My next-door neighbor and I are going halfsies in a community garden program, whereby we receive a weekly produce delivery.  I am so excited about this.  It is something I have wanted to do for a long time.  Both my dad and D's papaw have gardens but this program offers a wider array of produce than what they grow every year.  It will be nice, fun and a challenge to use up Swiss chard, beets, lemon balm, heirloom tomatoes and more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine did the garden box last year and enjoyed it. She had a lot of fun searching the internet for recipes to use whatever produce she had received. She said she and her family tried a lot of things they otherwise would not have.
Susan

Momisodes said...

You're doing great! And I agree that once the weather warms up, it will be much easier to get outside and move around :)