Adsense

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Shopping....yuck

Today I took off by myself for a couple hours to do some shopping for moi, an excursion which reinforced why I rarely shop for myself. I am not a clothes, purse, jewelry, shoe or any kind of apparel/accessory horse. I wear what is comfortable, and I wear it repeatedly until it can almost walk itself to the hamper. Truth be told, I only actually need 2 shirts and 2 pairs of jeans to last me 21-27 days (I do more regularly change undies and socks--I do have some standards). I am also extraordinarily cheap. Makes for real fun times at the mall.

So I headed to Old Navy, since I had such success buying summer shirts there (they were actually long enough to cover my pooch). This time around there was NOTHIN. Well, there were some things I liked but they were all size S or XS. I weigh 133(ish) lb, am 5'7" and buy a size L because I like for my clothes to fit both before and after I wash them (size 9 or 10 when numerals are used as sizes). Who are these anorexic munchkins who wear size S or XS, and why don't they like Old Navy clothes?

Whenever I've been in a conversation with others about sizes, I usually find someone throwing the word skinny in my direction (I dislike being called skinny. Thin, I can accept.) So if I am considered skinny and wear a L, and there is an obesity problem in the US, then shouldn't these designers send like 1 or 2 size S or XS to Old Navy and ship buttloads of L, XL, XXL, and DDL to them instead, so that there are leftovers for the folks like me who don't get out on Dec 26th?

Failure at Old Navy.
Off to New York & Company, which was a waste of time. I thought I remembered them having some casual clothes (in my pre-kid days), but I found nothing that I would purchase and be ok with having snot, slobber or spoiled milk on.
Then to the Gap. Found 2 long-sleeved t-shirts for $15 each. A little pricier than what I like, but they will cover my pooch, and so I am willing to splurge.

By this time, I'm thinking I better go ahead and get socks and undies, but I didn't want to make a trip to Target. So I start wondering where in the mall I can purchase cheap unmentionables???

Ah yes! Sears.

I love the look of hipster undies, but, again, I am all about comfort, and I don't like the seam that runs straight up the butt crack of these delightfully cute panties. I did manage to stay away from granny panties, so I can still consider myself somewhat "with it" in terms of underclothes.

Three pairs of socks and a pajama set later, and I was SO READY to go home.

I had such high hopes for this excursion, but I found the sales were pathetic. The media had hyped up how crappy retail sales were in December and how great the clearance sales would be, but not so much. A sale means it originally cost $24.99, and I get it for $6.43. That is a my version of a cheap shopper's wet dream. Um, I mean, sale.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I wonder about clothing sizes all the time. . .it is especially frustrating for those of us who aren't thin! My mom is about five-six and probably weighs 120 pounds, and SHE wears medium or large shirts much of the time. Doesn't leave a lot of hope for the rest of us!