Adsense

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

On a tear

I have some favorite blogs that I enjoy reading, and one of them is Swistle (http://swistle.blogspot.com/).

However, lately she has been blogging about decluttering her house. Now I am all about decluttering, but reading about how much clutter she has really gives me the heebie-jeebies. I got a little light-headed when I read about her getting rid of 6 garbage bags full of junk (like broken toys and what-not).

You see, in general, I hate to shop, which cuts down on a lot of clutter. I also go through periodic decluttering tears; I am in the midst of one now.

I think it is the result of G getting older and me having a little more time to see just how much crap I've let pile up since his birth.

Hence, the quest for built-in bookcases/entertainment center in the living room.
Hence, putting a variety of items on craigslist.com and cheapcycle.com to get them the hell outta my house.
Hence, going through baby clothes and consigning everything I don't absolutely love.

D is of the stock that hangs onto things for eternity--his Papaw has a garage and basement full to he rafters with god knows what. I guess, technically, I come from that stock too, because my parents have 2 gigantic rooms in their basement full of stuff they don't use, haven't used in a really long time, and won't ever use again. But I hate hanging onto most stuff, except some sentimental things, like yearbooks, photo albums and some childhood knickknacks.

But it gets a little exhausting because the more decluttering I do, the more I want to do (I am obsessive/compulsive after all), so I look at stuff we actually use on a daily basis, like the kitchen table and think, "Do we really need this?" That is when I know I have to stop. Find something else on which to focus. Ah, a birthday party coming soon. And N starting preschool again soon.

Yes, I see an end in sight.

No comments: