Adsense

Friday, July 4, 2008

Thoughts on the Bratz

Target jaunt helped tremendously. I may not jump off a bridge this evening.

I thought I would jot down my thoughts on purchasing N Bratz merchandise since my MIL said, "I'm surprised your mom got you those," (with a tone, or at least what I took to be a tone) when N told her I had gotten them (as well as a pair of Bratz pajamas). At Target, I also got her a pair of Hannah Montana pajamas, which N had expressly requested.

My inclination is not to buy N Bratz or Hannah Montana merchandise, but while shopping I noticed other branded character pajamas--Dora, the Disney Princesses, Hello Kitty. And I never minded buying her those. So what is the difference? I think it is because the Bratz and Hannah Montana seem more mature, not as cutesy, kidlike as the others. So my desire not to purchase her these types of pajamas has more to do with not wanting N to grow up too quickly, not about buying a certain type of branded merchandise.

And I think about my mother trying to discourage me from doing "grown up" things, like shaving my legs and wearing a bra. But by not letting me, all she did was make me want to do the things more and even go behind her back. Which is what I thought about at Target. I could buy N what I consider to be the cute, innocuous monkey pajamas, but if she won't wear them because she wanted Hannah Montana, well, then what has been gained. Nada, and I've spent money on something she won't wear (and I hate, hate, hate to waste money).

The truth is that N is growing up....and as much as it pains me not to be able to keep her in the baby/infant section of Target and watching Blues Clues forever, she just ain't gonna do it. So I can fight her growing up and becoming interested in older things, or I can accept that she is growing up and guide her/monitor her as she explores these things.

I don't let her watch the Bratz DVDs alone. I am there and watching and making comments to make her think. And warning her beforehand that if she starts using any inappropriate language or behaving inappropriately, I will deal with it.

Speaking of Bratz, I have a 4-year-old pestering me to type, so I am gonna go put her butt in bed.

No comments: