Adsense

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Home Improvement Proves a Pain

So I got it in my head that I wanted to have a built-in bookcase/entertainment center in our living room because I don't have enough storage space. Prior to kids, I had my photo albums and some knickknacks in our current entertainment center, but now those are in my closet and every millimeter of space is loaded with toys, games and videos.

I have long had an affinity for built-in bookcases, so this was a no-brainer. Our current cabinet is way too short and deep for the room. And it is a darkish woodstain, so it looks out of place right next to our white mantel. But it didn't bother me much until I started not being able to put toys away each evening because they didn't have a home other than the floor. I can totally handle not being able to see my living room floor as long as I know that everything has a home, a basket, a shelf, a cabinet where it lives should I opt to move it there so I can see my carpet. But when things don't have a home.....I start to get hives.

So in June, I called and had some cabinetmakers and a remodeler come out. And then I had to wait for their designs and estimates. And then I had to talk to D and we decided whom we wanted to do the work. And then I had to call. And then D and I had to sit down and figure out exactly what we wanted. And then I tried faxing the remodeler the papers, but our fax machine is crap (or I don't know how to use it, so I'll go with the former explanation). And so they left by snailmail a couple days ago.

Here it is almost August, we sent the remodeler our idea and are waiting to hear back, get a contract, and a start date.

The problem is that once I decide I want to do something, I want it done yesterday. Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that. So then I am just in a state of funkiness and limbo until the work is completed. Which feels like it may be when I am too old to care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get this given all my house work I've had done recently.

Keri said...

Just popped in to see what you've written lately!

Let me just say that perhaps the only thing worse than waiting for the work to be done by a remodeler is having to spare your own husband for the evening and weekend hours it takes to get a set of built-ins completed. NOT that I'm ungrateful for my own husband's hard work and thriftiness (the latter of which is why we didn't hire someone for the job). I'm just saying, look on the bright side of things. :-)