Adsense

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thoughts on Disney vacation

Now I like to keep busy while on vacation. When we go to the beach, I don't like to just lay there like a dead whale all day in the sun. I walk the beach numerous times a day. I like to visit nearby outlet malls or the little kooky shops that are always in beachfront areas.

But Disney World was a little too much busyness even for me. It reminded me of our trip to Rome and Greece, except that trip didn't make me nearly as tired (of course, I was neither pregnant nor had a 3-year-old in tow, so I'm sure that makes a big difference.)

I hope N enjoyed herself. I think she did, but she is sometimes hard to read. Maybe it was nervousness....she sometimes clammed up around the princesses when she had the opportunity to talk to them. And she did this on rides too, until she had ridden them once and then she was all about doing it over and over.

Overall I had a great time. Fortunately I travel best in larger groups because I have enough distraction so that not any 1 person drives me up a wall (which happened all the time when it was just me and D vacationing together--by day 3, I was ready to kill him or maim him, at the very least).

My mom drove me a little batty at times only because she has this habit of asking me a million questions about where we are going or what we are doing in places that I have never been either (and therefore have no clue where we are going or what we are doing). And when she wasn't asking me questions, she was talking to other people like she knew what she was doing, which was never the case.

I did get frustrated by MANY of the other people who were visiting the parks while we were there. I don't think they meant to be mean, I think they were just clueless. Like the----
  • 2 dads who on Friday at the Transportation Center did NOT close down their strollers to get on the monorail, which meant I had to squeeze my pregnant belly between my folded-up stroller and their unfolded strollers just to sit down. Did they not notice the half a million people waiting to get on the monorail? How large did they think those little cabins were?

  • The teenage girl (with her parents) sitting on the Main Street USA curb before the parade who decided to STAND UP once it started and block the view of my preschooler. HELLO Beeatch! You are like 15 years old---3-year-olds get fucking first dibs on the curb. My mother started mouthing off behind her back, but I like to at least ask nicely before I bring out the big guns. The girl moved down so N could sit on my lap on the curb. Of course then this girl's equally dumb younger teenage sister decided to stand in the street to see better, thereby blocking our view as well as the people next to us. Once again, I had to tap them on the legs and politely ask them to move their asses so the rest of the row could see something besides their cellulite.

  • The people who would insist on getting onto the tram after the driver had said at least 3 times to not get on. It's not like they were gonna have to wait 2 days before another tram would come. I hate to say it but my dad was one of these guys. I don't think you ever outgrow your parents embarrassing you.

  • Basically, anyone who decided to make their own rules, like on cutting in a waiting line or eating where they shouldn't have been eating. I try not to be anal, but there is a certain amount of common courtesy that I think one should extend to others for everyone's benefit. All I can say is thank god we went during non-peak season because I might have gotten into a couple fights had I had to contend with more crowded conditions with often unthinking folks.
I was very pleased with the kinds of food at WDW. I expected nothing but hot dogs and hamburgers, but I had grilled salmon for lunch one day in Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Another day was a veggie sandwich with this great black bean side salad. And the kids meals rocked---because of the side items--carrots, grapes, applesauce. N didn't get constipated at all, which I totally expected, so I was pretty happy about that (isn't it sad and yet totally a parent thing when a large portion of your happiness in life revolves around what your child's anus is doing or not doing???)

Anyway, I am glad we did it and glad it's now done. I am ready to spend the summer at the pool now, just sitting around.

No comments: