Adsense

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Name game and blame

Ok, so D does not want to discuss baby names until we have the ultrasound.

I, on the other hand, have been married to D for nearly a decade now and know that he will need at least a 6 full months to stew over any possible names we discuss (in the same way that he usually requires 6 full months to stew over any purchases involving technology). So I have been making my own D list of names because throwing a baby name book at the man is sheer folly.

Last night, D's cousin asked me about names so we were discussing them last night at D's papaw's house. The one name for a boy I really like is Hugh. My parents have already said they don't like it, and my MIL said last night it reminds her of some crazy guy from Pikeville she knew when she was growing up. But I LIKE IT!! It is short, to the point, sounds good with D's last name, and is uncommon enough but certainly well-known enough that people know it is a boy's name.

D, of course, doesn't like it, although I don't know whether he doesn't like it for a legitimate reason (like he himself personally had an unpleasant run-in with either Hugh Grant or Hugh Hefner and therefore has bad associations) or for a dumb reason (because other people have stated that they don't like it).

I generally revel in things that other people don't like and usually hate things that other people do like. I have never watched Survivor or American Idol or Lost or any of those "popular" shows. I have never read a Wally Lamb or Janet Evanovich book (or Nora Roberts or Maeve Binchy or anyone else that most people have actually heard of). The books and music I tend to like are those that wouldn't necessarily be considered "mainstream." Jeff Buckley and Wayne Coyne are my musical heroes. Yep, not 2 guys over which the masses faun.

I don't avoid "mainstream" popular stuff (except for Paris Hilton and Britney Spears). If something caught my interest I would certainly listen to it or read it or watch it. I loved Seinfeld, after all. I guess my tastes just tend to lean more towards the obscure (but not that obscure because I know lots of people who consider me mainstream compared to the things in which they are interested).

Anyway, so with picking baby names I want names that are known but not popular, not common. Names that can't easily be shortened. Names that sound good with Dean's surname. And Hugh happens to be one of those names. D--you read my blog, so be warned, I'm gunning for this name (although now that I'm on the warpath of sorts I am certain this imp is a girl). Of course, there is also Graeme and Rhys, but I just really prefer Hugh.

And then for girls, I am stuck on Eve. Again, simple, short, good with surname (although I also like Tess and Maeve).
Part of my problem is that if people (including my better half) don't like the names, that makes me hellbound to use them. I'm destined to be contrary.

I guess I'll have to come up with some really good names for D, which will make Hugh sparkle like a diamond....maybe Bocephus, Mortimer and Fernando?

1 comment:

Tricia said...

When I was pg with B and we were throwing around girl names we mentioned that we liked the name Natalie for a girl. My fav aunt (and Godmother) screwed her face up and said "Oh no, that makes me think of Natalie Wood and how she drowned...you can't name a baby that!" Oh well...You can't please everyone so why even try?!?