Adsense

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I want an Oompa Loompa. I want you to get me an Oompa Loompa right away.

It happened suddenly. Veruca Salt moved into my home. A child who physically looks like N is still around, but in attitude and spirit she is totally Veruca. Her favorite phrase is, "I want it NOW!" And this statement is never just uttered once. It is a barrage that grates on every last nerve cell in my body.

There is a lot of kid stuff I can tolerate. Noisemakers don't phase me. N running around our house squealing has no effect on me. But being told ad nauseum, "I want to go to L's house NOW!" really pushes my frickin' buttons.

I understand she wants what she wants. I want what I want. And I don't have a heck of a lot more patience than my kid, so I appreciate the challenges of being patient. But damn, I hate the snide little snotty tone that goes with what she says.

And I know she is just pushing the boundaries, discovering how far she can push me before I nip it in the bud (which ain't too far). There are some behaviors I accept, some I can tolerate, and some that will make me go ape-shit on her ass. My basic premise is if it hurts N or it is hurtful to others (that whole Golden Rule thing), then we are not having any part of it. Being demanding and disrespectful to others, namely me, (and making herself look like a spoiled brat in the process) falls into the "violates the Golden Rule" category.

I am, fortunately, a really stubborn person, but it is often hard to not just give into her demands. Today we were getting ready to go with our neighborhood playgroup to see a theatre performance. N was dressed and ready to go. I was packing up the car and brought in some Ariel clothes my friend is letting N borrow and set them on the table.

Of course, N instantly noticed and started whining, "I want to try the Ariel dress on NOW!" Over and over and over. Now I probably had enough time I could have stripped her down and let her try it on, but I knew if I put it on her I'd never get it off. And the bottom line is I didn't want to mess with it 10 minutes before leaving the house. So I told her that she could try it on as soon as we returned home.

Well, that clearly didn't jive with N's plans, so her volume and snotty tone increased. A good minute of that and I said, "I'm giving the clothes back to L since you won't stop asking me to try it on. I said you can try it on when we return home, but since you are not listening and not being patient, you don't get to keep them. " And I put the clothes in the front seat of the car with every intention of giving them back. Well, she quieted down and said, "I'm cooperating."

And so I didn't give them back to L, which in a way makes me feel like I caved, although really I guess it was a truce because N stopped whining and being disrespectful (my win) and she gets to still borrow the clothes (her win).

I know if I make a threat I have to be willing to enforce it. If I threaten to toss the jelly beans in the trash if she gets one without asking, I have to be willing to throw them out. And I am. But no parent likes to see his/her kid upset. It is far easier to give in than to tolerate the crying and moaning and other not-fun behaviors.

But I don't want my kid acting like this at 15 or 20 or 40 years of age. I don't want N to treat me like a doormat. I want her to understand that my love is abundant and overflowing, but my respect and trust are earned (as they are with others). I want her to know that we might have differences, but we will be civilized to each other...well, as much as a 3-year-0ld can be civilized.

And I have to remind myself that this is an ongoing process. There will be different versions of this testing and pushing for years to come. I only hope I can hold out that long.

2 comments:

Giselle said...

Andrew's latest addition to the snotty behavior is "fine, go ahead"...as in, "If you can't pick up your toys I'm going to throw them away." "Fine, go ahead. I don't like my toys anyway."

I've thrown away several toys just today in fact. Grrrrr...not the reaction I've been hoping for.

Good luck. It is amazing that they survive to adulthood.

Tricia said...

AMEN to all that you said! There is a fine line between the mommy guilt and wanting and needing to be the Alphamommy who will not cave under any circumstances. I too am very stubborn, so much so that I rarely can negotiate a truce. Unfortunately B has inherited this from me. Makes for some good times...