Adsense

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hey Will Durst, I'm mad too.....

A friend posted a Facebook link to Will Durst's essay, "Man oh Man, I'm Mad," which I thought was hilarious.  Although I know it was intended as satire directed at Tea Partiers, I thought it was funny because I was in the process of being mad and reading it made me see that I was maybe being just a little bit ridiculous.

I was mad at my husband's HR department.  His company has an on-site clinic where we can see a doctor or physician's assistant free of charge, for sick or well visits.  Today they were going to be giving flu shots in addition to doing health assessments of employees and spouses.  So our plan was to take the whole gang in to get flu shots and then D and I could take turns watching the kids while the other was being weighed, blood pressured, etc.

But then yesterday HR emailed employees the informed consent sheets to be printed, signed and brought in for the shots.  And on the consent, it said that this particular shot they had was not to be given to children under age 4.  So I called HR to ask if they would have shots for kids under 4 available today (or ever).  I left a message and heard nothing back.

Since I know nothing about flu shots, I called the CDC to find out what shot my almost 3-year-old and almost 1-year-old would need.

This morning I called the clinic to see if they had the pediatric shots.  And I was told no, and they didn't know when or if they would have the shots available.

All of this made me mad.  Mad that our "plans" were a complete waste.  Mad that I had to call and email and nearly hunt someone down to get an answer.  Mad that because of all this nonsense and lack of communication my blood pressure, which was going to be checked in an hour, would almost assuredly be high.  Mad that I'd had to fast and was hungry and still had to contend with my screaming children.

Basically, I was mad that all of this was out of my hands, and I just had to deal with it.

Recently I was mad at Babies R Us about bed rails that had been ordered incorrectly in 2007.  Last week I got mad enough that I left the district manager a message on Thursday, Sep 16th that if he didn't call me back within 24 hours I was going to call his boss and his boss's boss until I got my bed rails.  And then I told the store manager I was going to contact Lemme Do It if I didn't get an answer as to when I would receive my bed rails.

Today, Sep 21st, my bed rails were Fedex'd directly to my home and I am receiving 50% of the cost of the bed rails back for all of my trouble.  And the district manager gave me his direct cell phone number if I have any other problems (I'm assuming he means with Babies R Us and not life in general).

So being mad and expressing that anger can sometimes get you results.

But it can also just make you look like an idiot, as I am when I am carrying on about "People who don't call me back, blah, blah, blah" and "These companies are so inefficient, blah, blah, blah."  Fortunately, I do this within the confines of my home...although sometimes I can't help but let loose a little on Facebook.  I know D gets more than a little edgy when I get pissed about something related to his job  because of my tendency to rant and say something to higher-ups when I think something just ain't right.  It is times like these when he is thankful we do not share the same last name.

No comments: