Adsense

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Things that confound me

Numero Uno:

How does every thing I own convey to every other thing I own that they are all going to break simultaneously, or at least within the same 3-month time span?  

I am officially labeling this the Summer That Everything Broke.  I guess the lawnmower technically broke in the late spring before yard-cutting got into full swing, but I'm counting it.  There was the dead car battery that required 2 jumps to get us to Valvoline so that we could proceed on to Holiday World.  Last week was my Jiffy mop that broke completely in half from rust and rot.  And today it was my toilet bowl brush--again, into 2 pieces.  

In the last year we've replaced both the washer and dryer.  We euthanized the other two.  They weren't dead yet but were well on their way to the appliance graveyard.  And with having 3 kids, one of which is a spit-uppity, highly poopy baby, I needed to be able to count on both of these appliances functioning well and reliably.  

The refrigerator is in a slow decline.  We've had it for 13 years, and I'm really, really hoping to get a few more years out of it.  

And Dos--

I guess I'm thinking about this because I am having to replace all the shit in my house that is breaking....

Will someone please explain to me how this statement makes sense:
"Buy more to save more!"

I see this in ads all the time, and it drives me completely bonkers.  You cannot buy and save at the same time, unless you are buying a savings bond or a certificate of deposit which earns interest over time.  

If you buy a shirt, you are not saving money.  You are spending money on something that will depreciate in value.  

I have long been an advocate for finance/economic education for children starting at a very young age, and it is this kind of nonsense that makes me even more certain that I am not made for this materialistic world.    


No comments: