Adsense

Monday, August 9, 2010

I am a fashion faux pas

I don't "get" fashion, and sometimes I really wish I did.  

My mother passed down the No Fashion gene to me which means the following:
1. If it ain't comfortable, I don't buy it.
2. If it ain't cheap, I don't buy it.
3. If it is comfortable and was purchased for cheap, I wear it multiple days in a row until either a.) it can walk to the hamper by itself, or 2.) I somehow manage to get baby poop on it.  (Poop trumps all.)

These are the Big Rules of Carrie's Fashion No-Sense, but there are many, many small rules that make it almost impossible for me to find clothes I like.

Small Rules--
1. I don't wear navy blue pants.
2. I don't wear chinos or docker-type pleated pants.  In any color.  
3. I don't purchase shirts that have to be ironed. 
4. I don't buy anything that has to be dry-cleaned.
5. I will not wear blue jeans with tennis shoes.
6. Shirts must be long or tunic-length since I am long-waisted.  If they hit at the belly-button, they don't get bought.
7. I only like very light-weight t-shirts like those papery-thin ones at Old Navy.
8. I don't do thongs.  Ever.  (Life is irritating enough without having something riding up my butt.)
9. I prefer to buy used blue jeans that have long been broken in.
10. I don't wear earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.
11. Purses are a necessary evil, and when I can get away with only packing my wallet, I do so.  
12. I have one pair of Merrell shoes that I love, love, love.  All I need is those, my galoshes, my flip flops, and a pair of tennis shoes.  Heels are evil.  
13.  I own 1 belt, which is nearly ripped in two from wear.

In addition to these clothes/accessory issues, I don't wear makeup.  Ok, maybe some tinted lip gloss on occasion.  But no eye shadow, eyeliner, blush, foundation.  I have never stepped inside a Sephora.  

Sometimes I wish I did like fashion, could comfortably wear all different kinds of clothing.  I have walked past White House/Black Market and Anne Taylor Loft and seen so many beautiful outfits.  But I know that even if I did find something that felt really comfortable, it wouldn't be really inexpensive.  I could justify spending $90 on my Merrell shoes because I wear them every day for at least a couple years.  But $90 on a blouse?  Forget it.  

I think my lack of fashionability makes me feel a little defensive whenever I see those "People of Wal-Mart" pictures because while my ass and boobs are covered, I ain't a pretty sight most days of the week. 

1 comment:

Keri said...

It is so obvious to me why you and my sister are bosom buddies... ;-) Although I have to say that she has been spiffing it up lately for events related to her job, hasn't she? Maybe that's what it will take for you to buy something at Ann Taylor - a job hob-nobbing with the elite of Louisville...