Adsense

Monday, August 23, 2010

Brain dump..here we go.....

I have gotten to the point that I keep a pad/pen in the car and in my diaper bag so that I can jot down an idea or something I need to get done whenever the thought floats through my head.  If I don't, it is gone and doesn't come back until I am wet & soapy in the shower.  And by the time I'm out, dry and dressed, the thought is long gone.

At the moment, I've got a couple ideas safely stored so I'm going to download.  Right here.  Right now.

1. The NYC brouhaha over the Muslim community center at Ground Zero and President Obama.

I've got no dog in the race so my opinion matters not.  But one of the things that has long rankled me about the US and its "public face" is that we come off as a spoiled teenager, quick to speak, very, very slow to think, lacking wisdom and maturity.  There is no question we are a great country, but we are imperfect and, worse, we are unable to admit our imperfections.  That's one of the reasons I like President Obama---because I think he understands that the reason some countries despise us and the general feeling about the US under W was horrible is because the US acted like a cocky son of a bitch.

I like the idea of the Muslim community center at Ground Zero because it spits in the eye of every person out there who brainwashes others into thinking the US hates Muslims.  It shows our ability to transcend destruction, loss, and fear.  I like to believe that everyone who died on September 11 in NYC is in possession now of an understanding of love, light and meaning that those of us left on Earth can't wrap our heads around.  And that they would think being forgiving, not lingering on what happened in 2001 but can happen in the future, is what is important.

2.   This is How I Do It....

Sometimes I'm asked how I can possibly have time to blog or write for a local magazine with 3 kids.  And my answer to that is, "I do not watch tv."  So from 8-10:30 or so when I lug my butt up to bed, I have the opportunity to write if the mood strikes me.  I stopped watching tv regularly when Seinfeld went off the air.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm not missing much.  I'd much rather read other people's thoughts that they've blogged or catch up with friends' comings & goings on Facebook than watch Snookie or the Kardashians or reality "stars."

3.  I keep thinking about money---saving it, spending it.  Obsess much?

It dawned on me the other day that part of the reason I feel broke is that I have purchased Christmas gifts already for my nieces and nephews but I haven't yet "paid myself back" out of my Christmas savings account.  And I've been purchasing super cheap size 4T summer clothes for G for next year but the money is being spent now.  

Today I purchased party supplies for the boys' shared birthday party in early October.  It seems a little early, yes, since it is still August, but I send invitations 4 weeks in advance, so that means I will need to mail them out within 2 weeks.  And if I'm going to drive to the store to get invitations, I may as well get the plates, napkins and cups while I'm at it, rather than making a special trip again to Factory Card Outlet.

And this is one of the problems with being a non-procrastinator.  (Is there a word for a person who is not a procrastinator?  An alacritator?)

Alright, so my brain wasn't as full as it felt.
I'm sure when I hit the shower in the few minutes thoughts will come spewing out all over the place.

1 comment:

Keri said...

Since you don't watch TV, I wonder if you've heard much about the specific point of view of the leader of this particular Muslim mosque. My understanding is that he's probably NOT one of the millions of peace-loving Muslims out there. In fact, I believe that most peace-loving Muslims would be as appalled at the building of this mosque at that location as I am.

I have to say that I disagree with you on this point. Forgiveness is wonderful, looking to the possibilities of the future is great, too. But I think it's just absolutely too much to ask the family and friends who lost loved ones on 9/11 to open their arms to those who - even if IN NAME ONLY - represent the ones who stole their loved ones away.

Yes, forgiveness and moving on are noble goals. But so is being sensitive to the feelings of those whose wounds are still very raw. And I believe that if this guy was a sensitive, loving person, he'd have chosen another location on which to build.

Just my humble opinion.