Adsense

Friday, February 15, 2008

Polly Pockets in the Jungle

There is a reason I actually like looking at the toy section of stores. I look with the hope of purchasing in order to add a new level of excitement to my life. I don't buy N toys for N. I buy N toys so that I won't be so fricking bored of playing with the same darn toys.

Our latest game is Polly Pockets in the Jungle, which was actually quite enjoyable the first couple times we played. We dressed about 6 Disney Princess Polly Pockets in jungle gear (not their ball gowns) and had then go to the jungle (the fake plant in our dining room). They climb into the jungle and shake coconuts down, which they then load into their car. They send baskets (Polly Pocket purses) up a rope (the string belt from a negligee) and put bananas in it. They pick red berries. They have tents (cardboard bent in half) and a bonfire (spanish moss). They sleep in sleeping bags (baby washclothes cut in half).

And as I type this, a part of me thinks, "Wow, Carrie, what a great mom you are to be coming up with such cool props." But the truth is, I only do it to relieve the agonizing boredom of playing this game ad nauseum. I added the cardboard tends and spanish moss bonfire because I couldn't stand for the Polly's to shake the fucking tree AGAIN. And sleep on leaves AGAIN. And play hide & seek in the jungle AGAIN.

After playing Polly Pockets in the Jungle 4 times a day for a week, even with the new stuff, I am over it.

Sometimes it is so hard for me to keep the "I am SOOO Damn Bored look" off my face. When I've really had it I just lay down and hold the dolls until N hollers at me to do something. And then I give a daytime soap opera lame-ass performance.

There is hope, though. We let N watch The Wizard of Oz, so we have played that once with the Polly's--the boy Polly Pockets are the scarecrow, tinman and lion. And it was fabulous...because we weren't in the jungle. Oz was a great change of pace, but it won't last but another 3-4 times. And then I'll be finding something to make into flying monkeys.

No comments: