Adsense

Monday, February 4, 2008

Ms. Hyde

Lately there is no Dr. Jekyl... just an almost 4-year-old Ms. Hyde. It is a shame that she is so little and already psychotic.

We have been suffering through periodic tantrum episodes. She will fight us (and I do mean FIGHT) about going to bed, taking a bath, leaving the store. Hitting, kicking, yelling, the whole bit. We put her in her room and leave when she lashes out physically or when she demands things disrespectfully. And when she has quieted down we go to her and then let her rejoin the rest of us. She knows she is being uncooperative because when she has calmed down she'll say, "I'll be cooperative.". Tonight she even said, "I'm sorry for not coming upstairs with you" (D had to pick her up over his shoulder and carry her to her room to get ready for bed at which point it was like putting pantyhose on a tiger to get her dressed).

Aside from being exhausting, it just makes me worry that D and I are doing something wrong as parents. We really work hard to be consistent. I have the book Love & Logic Magic dog-eared like crazy and try to do the things it suggests, like be consistent, offer choices, and use logical consequences. But it doesn't seem to help because she continues to throw these fits.

I don't know how much of her issue is tiredness (she gave up naps for awhile after G was born but now seems to fall asleep on the couch some afternoons). Some of it is, I'm sure, her continued adjustment to life with a sibling. And I guess some of it is the brain changes associated with turning 4. She is wearing us the hell out.

I have never spanked her and I rarely raise my voice, but when she throws these giganto tantrums all I want to do is beat the holy hell out of her. Putting her in her room is for her safety--partly because when she is so worked up I'm afraid she might try to launch herself over the gate at the top of the step. Partly, though, it is because I may just hurl her out of the window out of utter frustration.

Damn-- this parenting racket is HARD FUCKING WORK!

No comments: