Adsense

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Decisiveness

I often do not understand why I decided to keep my maiden name because in so many ways I am not at all like the people who bore me or the sibling who shares my genetic history. Of course, I am not like my husband's family either so taking his name upon our marriage wouldn't have worked.

My family (mom, dad, and brother) all share a common behavior: indecisiveness. I do not know that I am inherently decisive or that living with 3 equally annoying indecisive people for 24 years made me determined to be the opposite.

So my quick decision-making and their inability to act quickly is coming into play as I have begun planning this year's vacation.

Last year wasn't a vacation year. It was D's fun spending money year, which means we purchased stuff (which is what he likes) instead of experiences (which is what I like). We bought a leather couch to suit his complex "lounging" needs. Now I would have been ok with something cheaper, but D goes into passive-aggressive mode when we get something that isn't quite up to his particular standards. I believe I had to listen to under-the-breath mutters about our old couch for exactly 8.5 years (give or take a week or so). This fall he bought his big 50" tv, and I bought him an on-sale tv stand because I was tired of tripping over all of his receivers and dvd players and speakers and whatever else he hooks up in our basement to make the walls shake when he watches Star Wars.

Originally I hadn't intended to go to DisneyWorld. Whenever I thought about it, which wasn't often, I thought, "Well, I'll wait till I have all my kids and then I'll take all of them to Florida." However, the fun "Adventures in Not-Conceiving" ride got me thinking that
1. N may be "all my kids" I ever end up having
and
2. You better just do whatever the heck you want in life when you want (because life don't always go your way). If I ain't gotta save for a new baby, I might as well blow a chunk o' change at Disney.

So in a fit of insanity, thinking it might be fun for the whole gang to go, I invited my brother and his family, my mom and dad, and my MIL. Now my brother just had his 2nd kid, and both are under 2. My SIL will go back to work from maternity leave in mid-February. They want to put their house up for sale and buy a new one since they are busting at the seams of their current residence. As much as I'd like for them to go, I think they would be a little insane to try to undertake their current lives, a real estate switcheroo, and a 12 hour jaunt to central Florida. In 2005, all of us went to AL for a vacation and it was alot of fun. However, that was pre-new nephew, and there is a big difference between a relaxing beach vacation and Disney.

Maybe I'm lazy or just mean but I don't feel like doing tons of work and research and calling and planning for folks who aren't really serious about going. I guess since I've made up my mind, I'm ready to go. Let's plan this baby and roll. Anyone who works with me on the board of the moms club knows this about my personality. I don't like waiting around for people to think or contemplate. I'm using toes now to count the number of times I think something is a good idea and run with it, only to find a reasonable person who comes up with a far better idea or a suggestion that makes my idea seem rash.

I think my Aunt Sis was this way...she had mood problems too, so I'll blame her. Regardless, now I am in neutral....sit-around-and-wait-for-other-people-to-decide mode. Ahhh, the joys of my own personal purgatory.

No comments: