Adsense

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

An alright day

I don't really have good days. Not that my days don't have moments of good or even consecutive hours of good, but there is always a little bummer associated with every day, and I am the kind of person who pays more attention to the bummer part than the 14 hours that preceded or surrounded it.

But I do recognize the good in the day, although anyone who reads my blog would beg to differ after having read any of my previous posts. I remind myself sometimes of the big headed robot Marvin in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the paranoid android, suicidally depressed and just a great big morose ball of fun.

So instead of having good days, I have alright days. Today was an alright day. N and I went to our neighbor's house for a playdate, and N was mostly happy and content, especially when she got to dress up in Sleeping Beauty costumes. When she took her nap, I walked on the treadmill.

She awoke in a clingy mood, and I was, by this time, right smack in the middle of getting everything off the basement Christmas tree. We had a snack and she walked Pinky Lee, her favorite baby doll, in the stroller, while she ate 3 baby carrots on our way to visit Jack, Diane and Jessie, the resident donkeys who live right outside our neighborhood.

But after we got home from the walk, perhaps because she was tuckered out from the jaunt, her mood soured, and mine did likewise. I told D I was going to change my name to Ethel because I was sick of hearing N yell "Mommy....mommy...mommy." She couldn't play by herself for 2 minutes so I could reheat leftovers in the microwave. When N gets in a funk, I follow shortly thereafter. I catch bad moods like hookers catch the clap.

Suffice it to say, the Christmas decorations got put away, the floor got vacuumed, N got a bubble bath and stories read to her and nobody got hurt.

Before I had N I taught middle school, and even when I was dealing some tough little shits, I could shake a negative event a heck of a lot faster than I can now. Did the pregnancy hormones blow my mind? Yep. Do the mommy hormones continue to blow my mind. You bet. And having some kid who is not your child give you lip is a HELL OF A lot different than having your own flesh and blood give you lip.

That funny blend of "I love you to the core of my being" and "I hate you at this moment" all wrapped into one I'm sure has something to do with it.

So today was alright, as most days are.

1 comment:

Giselle said...

Your blog is priceless because of comments like "like a hooker gets the clap".

I hope tomorrow is an okay day. :)