Adsense

Friday, January 13, 2012

The new turd 'round these parts

Today M screamed, cried, hollered "Mah-ee" (Mommy) and was a highly disagreeable little turd from the time I dropped G off for speech therapy until over an hour later when I went to pick G up and have his exit meeting (he has "graduated" from speech therapy with significant improvement in under a year----HURRAY!).

I ran into Target to pick up some photos I had developed, and the employee asked me if I had other shopping to do.  M was in his snowsuit, coat and hat, but had only his socks on because he had flung his boots off before I ever got him out of the car, and was flailing in front of the customer service counter whining and crying.  I looked down at him, looked up at her, and said, "No, I believe I am done." 

M is at that delightful stage where if I ask him if he wants something like a drink or his pacifier he yells, "NO!"  Since he has declined the item, I remove it which causes him to scream for whatever it is, as if he desperately needs it in order to survive.  But when I hand it back towards him, he says, "NO!"

This happens at least 4,000 times a day.

Like G at the same age, when he is completely pissed he bangs his head on the ground or on the wall and then runs over screaming even louder because it hurt.  

Lord only knows what sets him off but he has a maddening ability to just keep carrying on and on and on.  I thought for sure this morning he would eventually wear himself out and shut up but it was literally a full hour of screaming and fussing.  And, believe me, I was checking my watch....mostly because I had to pick up G from speech but also because I was waiting for the toddler torture to end.

It is hard to reconcile this raving maniac of a child with the sweet little one who asks me every night to sing him "Fiddle-I-Fee" (which he just calls "Fee") before I put him into his crib.  The one who adds all the animal sounds and then says, "Ock Bay-bee," which is his way of asking me to sing "Rock-a-Bye Baby."  The one who I hear at 5:00 in the morning going "HI-YAH" in his crib, apparently doing judo on the little Mickey Mouse stuffed animal that we keep in M's crib.

Given all the craziness that was G the last two years, I really don't know if I have it in me to handle this 2-year-old and eventual 3-year-old insanity.

Well, I guess I have no choice but to handle it, but it won't be graceful or pretty.  

2 comments:

Bld424 said...

When Daniel started doing this a few months ago at your son's age, doing the Happiest Toddler on the Block trick of repeating the emotion-part of the fit really helped.

Ex: He's going crazy because we took away an ink pen.

Wah!Wah! No! No! Daniel really wants the pen! No! No take it away! Daniel doesn't like it! Wah! Wah!

That got his attention and broke that whining screaming part of the fit.

Then we'd say, "We know you are upset. I cannot let you write on this important paper with the pen."
blah blah.

I know its not your first rodeo, but just saying what worked for us when we entered this annoying little boy phase.

Kelsey said...

God love you Carrie, once that youngest is five or so you'll feel like you've lived through a war! I really cannot imagine dealing with my Michael AND another one just a bit younger.

You are doing a great job (not that you were doubting this!) - don't let the tantrums get you down! They will stop, eventually. :-)