Adsense

Saturday, October 23, 2010

What I need as a SAHM--Ambien for infants & Prozac for preschoolers

The past few days have been rough.  G had a muy terrible night on Wednesday....he was up every 2 hours crying.  So in addition to M's normal wakenings, I got like zero sleep.  Finally in the wee hours of the morning, I saw that G's ear was draining.

Thursday night was only slightly better---G was in bed with me and D, which meant that I had like a fourth of an inch of bed and what sounded like a train snoring next to me with his knees in my back.  And M woke up a zillion times as normal.

By Friday G had a full-blown cold...snotting, honking, sneezing and being downright miserable and miserable to be around.  He is the classic case of "Male With Cold=THIS Close to Death."  And on top of it all, he is 3.  Whoever said "Terrible Twos" was a complete pussy because age 2 is a fucking pic-a-nic compared to the hell that breaks loose at age 3.  The cherry on top of it all is that he is the middle child.  If you look up the word pathetic right now, you will see a picture of my son.

By yesterday afternoon, M was starting to become snotty.  Today he had a gusher coming out his snout.

Once I started Ciprodex drops in G's ear his sleeping improved...but now M is showing the ear pulling evidence of ear infection.  I had told myself that if M got another ear infection before Thanksgiving I was gonna schedule tubes for him.  This makes an ear infection in late December 2009, January 2010, May 2010, June 2010, July 2010, September 2010 and now October 2010---7 infections in 11 months.

My great hope is that placing tubes in M's ears will result in him sleeping 8+ hours per night, every night, as it did with G within 48 hours of the surgery.

Whenever I start to decorate for my daily pity party, I really wonder why I think this is so hard.  And then I realize that, "Hey, this is effin hard!!"  When N was 3 and I had JUST HER, I thought it was hard dealing with a 3-year-old's tantrums.  And now whenever my current 3-year-old is having his every 12 minute tantrum, I've got a baby pawing at my leg.

I have been telling myself lately that I will only have to deal with 1 more 3-year-old after this.
I hope I can make it.
How many more cold & flu seasons is that????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head--3s are sooooo much harder than 2s.
~Laura

Keri said...

Before I had a mom, I had NO IDEA how much life could change with just one mildly ill child. Isn't it unbelievable, how much is affected when just one kid is sick, and exponentially more when there's more than one sick? Crazy.

I do hope that tomorrow's surgery will make a huge difference.

Oh, and I truly meant to bring over a casserole today for you to heat up for tomorrow's dinner (since we're booked up from 4:15 til bedtime tomorrow evening), but while my intentions were good, my execution was poor.

Is there anything else I can do, though?

Keri said...

haha! I said "Before I had a mom..." Duh. I meant either "Before I had a child" or "Before I was a mom." But you probably figured that out.