Adsense

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Finally not delaying gratification

I can delay gratification like nobody's business.  Usually.  

I am very good about denying myself things I want to buy.  There are always other, more pressing fiscal needs.  There is always a rainy day for which I need to save.  

I get my jollies from saving money and an infusion of anxiety when I spend.  

Most of the time.

But occasionally, I find myself thinking, "Why the fuck don't I get things that I want sometime?"  Because I buy for the kids.  And D buys himself games and techno stuff.   And when he needs new underwear or shirts for work I buy him stuff.  

So I have gone on a tear the past few days.

I bought a new serving thingie for holding my veggies in the kitchen.  (I've been wanting this for at least a  year.)
And I bought a new tumbleweed composter so I can compost my kitchen scraps and the new green diapers I am using on the boys.  (I've been wanting a compost bin since we moved into this house, in 2001). 
And I'm going to buy a new scrapbook on Tuesday so I can begin scrapping for G.  
And D just ordered a refurbished Ipod for me.  

And it feels good to get some things I want.
Until I get next month's credit card bill and have to write a big honking check using money we've saved.
Then I'll be on a frantic saving spree again.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

I do this too. I'll be going along fret-fret-fret about a $7 box of hair color I want, and I'll do that for like SIX MONTHS. Meanwhile, Paul needs new work shirts so I just buy them. Whuh?

So then I finally JUST BUY THE STUPID HAIR COLOR or whatever it is, and then I go back to the fretting.

Keri said...

I hope that you're able to thoroughly enjoy your purchases, free of guilt. Especially the scrapbook and the iPod, since they're the truly fun items that you mentioned! Maybe you'll have the chance, after the kids go to bed, to work on G's scrapbook WHILE LISTENING to the iPod. Bliss!!!