Adsense

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Books we've enjoyed in the past few months

N is kinda going through this "Disinterested Reader" phase.  She doesn't want to read much and what she does want to read doesn't hold my interest.  She is kind of out of that magical phase where she devours books and would eagerly read anything I'd select at the library.  


She selects her own books at the library, and I fill in with things I think she would like based on Best Of reading lists.  At our recent library visit, N did select some Minerva Louise books (by Janet Morgan Stoeke) and has been enjoying those.  They are cute but not uber-memorable....
*A Hat for Minerva Louise
*Minerva Louise and the Red Truck
*Minerva Louise at School


But getting her to read is like wrestling a whale to pull it's tooth.  




She seemed interested in the book Stars Beneath Your Bed:  The Surprising Story of Dust by April Pulley Sayre as well as Little Rabbit and the Meanest Mother on Earth by Kate Klise.  (I figured she could relate to Little Rabbit on this title.)

She has some that I will soon read with her like Carolinda Clatter by Mordicai Gerstein and Foo, the Flying Frog of Washtub Pond by Belle Yang.  They look promising but we shall see.  


Fortunately, G is in that phase where he has series of favorite books and just can't get enough of reading. 


G's favorites of late are listed below: 


Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle
The Bridge is Up by Babs Bell
Dinothesaus:  Prehistoric poems and paintings by Douglas Florian  (I totally didn't expect G to like this book but he asked for it over and over and over).  
Move Over, Rover! by Karen Beaumont
Tillie Lays an Egg by Terry Blonder Golson  (N liked this one too)
Petropolis by Susan Santoro Whayne
Maybe a Bear Ate It! by Robie Harris  (Tonight G said as he was holding his Mater book, "I yuv my book," which is what the character in this book says when he locates his lost book.)


Both the kids have been enjoying the Mo Willems' easy-reader books, like Cat the Cat, Who Is That? and What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?


What good books have your kids been reading????

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't The Little Blue Truck awesome! We just got that one at the library and we just love it. My 3 1/2 year old already has it memorized and loves the limo part...

Anonymous said...

G is loving the Junie B. books. With these we usually alternate pages - I read a page to her, she reads a page to me. She is also enjoying a series of Disney fairy chapter books. Brian reads these to her. He also read them to AC when she was younger. Both the girls have loved them.
Susan

Keri said...

Thanks for taking my suggestion! :-) I'll make some notes from this post before our next library trip!

Kelsey said...

Harper and I are almost finished with Beezus and Ramona and I wondered if she'd be too young for it, but she LOVES it and is thrilled there are many more Ramona books.

Michael loves books but is oddly stubborn about what he will let us read to him. Right now his absolute favorite is Truckery Rhymes - very cute truck-takes on nursery rhymes. Harper actually likes it too.