Adsense

Sunday, December 7, 2008

My wishlist

Sometimes I put together a little list of things I'd like to get myself at some point in the near future, but this list is always terribly disappointing because it is always uber-practical stuff for the house...not for me. Or if it is for me, it is underwear or socks. So darn exciting.

I have mixed feelings about my wishlist (whenever I get a hankering to make one up).

On the one hand, I really wish I could think of something(s) I really want. I kinda wished I wanted an iPhone or iPod or Coach purse. Something that would be my own little toy. But I would kill (with a capital K) D if he bought me an expensive techie gadget because my basic FB and email and blogging needs are met with the ancient laptop I have (that is being borrowed, I might add). And I'm not interested in clothes, shoes, purses, cosmetics, body lotions... basically anything girly. (Anybody who has actually seen me in real-time knows how true this is).

On the other hand, I'm kinda proud of my inability to think of stuff I want because it makes me feel like I am not materialistic and I know what is most important---experiences and personal growth.

When it comes to buying for myself, I can talk myself out of purchasing anything. I cannot (in my mind) justify buying a book to read for the book club I'm in unless I can get it for under $5. So if a book is relatively new and popular and I can't get a book from the library, I just don't go to bookclub that month.

Recently, I saw an address book, and I thought, "Hey, I could use one of these," even though this doesn't really qualify as a gift for me since it has a household purpose. But then I thought, "Well, my current address book isn't falling apart." And it is not falling apart, but it is old, and names/addresses have been crossed out all over the place. It came in the mail as a "Welcome to the Community" gift, so I didn't even shell out any of my own money to purchase it 7 years ago when we moved into this house, but I still think, "Nah, I don't really need a new one."

You would think I had lived through the Great Depression.

So here is my pathetic wishlist that I am currently keeping on the refrigerator:
1. address book
2. knife for putting icing on cakes & cupcakes
3. basting brush
4. Harry Potter books 5, 6, and 7

Only #4 would even remotely qualify as a personal gift because 1-3 are for the home. And #4 is something N or G would eventually inherit.

I sure hope the Treasury and Federal Reserve aren't relying on little ole me to jumpstart this economy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For you: http://www.bookswim.com/

I think I'm going to try it, it's about reading but green. I have so much book clutter!

Kelsey said...

I always keep lists of CDs, movies, and sometimes books throughout the year to go on my wishlist at Christmas/birthday time - I can ALWAYS think of ideas. I don't know what that says about me. On the one hand I don't tend to just buy myself things (even little things). On the other hand, maybe I should want less.

I hope your wishes are fulfilled.

Oh- I always write in pencil (sometimes I put the names in pen) in my address book, so I can just erase and rewrite when there are changes. That's the same thing my mom has always done.

Keri said...

I must come right out and tell you that there is absolutely no part of this post that I can relate to. :-)

At any given time, I could rattle off 20 things I want for myself. I've always been an easy person to Christmas shop for. And I don't hesitate to buy things for myself when the resources allow it. At the same time, I don't find myself consumed with desire for these things, or obsessed with "objects," so I'm pretty sure I've reached a good, happy medium. (I really have given this a lot of thought, because I used to struggle a bit with materialism.)

Oh, and the address book thing? The same part of my personality that loves a new calendar ALSO loves scrapping an old address book and starting fresh with up-to-date entries in a new one. I do this about every 2-3 years. Part of it is the fact that there are just so darn many cute address books out there, and I've always been a sucker for stationery-type products.

So I've just proven how different you and I are in this area, but if you want to talk to someone who can relate to you, call my mom! She's your consumer twin!