Adsense

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The goods

For some reason, I feel compelled to share what N and G will be getting for Christmas this year from Mommy/Daddy and Santa. While I am excited about what they are getting, I am a little worried that N will be disappointed. But then I think she will be so excited by the whole "idea" of Santa coming and gifts to open, she might forget exactly what she had written on her list.

Plus, I'm curious to know what other parents got their kids and approximately how much was spent. (Yes, I do spend an inordinate amount of time wondering if I'm in the normal range in terms of spending/giving gifts to kids at Christmas. I know I'm not in the normal range mentally, so I'm hoping to be so in some regard). However, I suspect most people feel as comfortable talking about this as they do their sex lives, so I never know how people REALLY live, if ya know what I mean.

Oh, and another reason to post it: So Daddy knows/remembers what the heck we got the kids. I did show him all purchases, but....ya know....he recalls nothing.

So here goes:

N's gifts--
From SANTA (1 big gift, a few stocking stuffers)
  • Blonde/blue-eyed My Generation Doll ($32.99) with matching pink dress for N and doll -- made by Nana
  • Viewfinder with Barbie & Kung-Fu Panda reels ($13.47)--- stocking stuffer
  • Bratz auto toothbrush ($4.94)-- stocking stuffer
  • Bratz Baby DVD ($5.48) -- stocking stuffer

From MOM & DAD
  • Camera ($19.67)
  • Barbie magnetic fashion book ($14.99)
  • Big crayon box, window markers & Strawberry Shortcake coloring book ($10.94)
  • 5-year-old Christmas ornament ($10.00)

G's gifts---
From SANTA (1 big gift, few stocking stuffers)
  • MegaBlocks wagon ($28.19)
  • Small ball ($2.06) --stocking stuffer
  • Tonka car ($4.04) -- stocking stuffer
  • Tonka car ($4.04) --stocking stuffer

From MOM & DAD
  • Little Tykes Coupe ($25.00) (got it off craigslist.)
  • Bath basketball hoop ($7.99)
  • 3 shirts ($14.60) -- this is totally a gift for Mom, since I have to change his drooled on/food slathered shirts at least 2-3 times a day. Means laundry less often.
  • 2 board books ($6.85)
SHARED GIFTS -- I thought it might be a good idea to get the kids a couple SHARED gifts. While G will be used to having to deal with a sibling, N still sometimes acts like she still rules the roost. Probably won't make a lick of difference.

From SANTA -- A bathblower ($19.99)
From MOM & DAD -- 3 DVDs ($20.07) (bought used from amazon.com) and Trouble ($4.13)

So the grand total comes to $243.53. Technically, I spent $111.57 on N, and $87.77 on G, which made me feel guilty for 2 seconds until I remembered that he doesn't care right now about any of this so why spend a fortune?

Boy, it feels good now that I have let the cat outta the bag. Never felt this good after Catholic confession. Guess I must not have been sinning well enough.

1 comment:

Keri said...

I don't know -- is there really one right answer to the question of how much to spend? I would think that each family's circumstances, values, kids' ages, and the particular year's wishlists vary so much that what's absolutely right for my family this year could be absurdly expensive or absurdly cheap for another family, or for our family another year.

I say, if you're satisfied with the amount you settled on, then it's the right amount for your family for that year.

That being said, I have no idea, without checking my messy stack of receipts, what we spent this year. I know it we came in under-budget, but I couldn't tell you an exact dollar amount at this moment.