Adsense

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Am I one of those moms?

I just did something I never thought I would do. Something I think is pretty uncharacteristic of me (you can argue if you'd like).

You ready?

I sent in G's picture to a local magazine for a Beautiful Baby Contest.

The last time this magazine had a beautiful baby contest there were some ferociously ugly babies that graced the pages (they showed all the entries, not just the main winner). I showed my mother the magazine to see what she thought, and I didn't preface it with, "Check out these homely looking babies." Ok, well, maybe I did, but she totally agreed with me that a boatload of 'em apparently had parents with poor, poor eyesight and no vision insurance.

Anyway, when I picked up this magazine at the grocery the other day and saw the Beautiful Baby Contest announcement, I thought about their last contest. I don't expect to win, but I just thought my goober-grinned kid has at least as much cuteness as the kids from last year.

(Editorial note: While writing this, I looked on thesaurus.com for some adjectives for ugly and found, among others, appalling, disfigured, frightful, grisly, repugnant, loathsome, all of which seemed a little hard-core to use with little wee ones. Which made me momentarily question how hard of a heart I must have to think of those particular infants as being that ugly.)

Hmmmmm. (I think to myself whether there is a special ring of hell for people like me...regarding baby beauty, that is. I know there are rings for my other faults.)

Nah, they was ugly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the same thing...I often wonder if family members are just born to see their family babies as the cutest in the world and are blinded to the actual look of the child. I do know that mine is awfully cute though:) Those baby boys are the BEST!
Beth

Keri said...

I was just indulging Bailey's desire to look at more pictures of N and G (after I showed her the missing tooth pictures) and I realized I had never commented on this post...which might lead you to believe that I think your baby isn't fit for the contest. That's not true -- he's adorable, that's a great pictures, and I hope he wins! I was probably just distracted (imagine that!) before I could make that comment earlier.