Adsense

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Why I never took personal days...and why I still don't

When I was a teacher, I never opted to take personal days unless it was a dire need. I HATED the prospect of getting a sub for one very good reason: too much trouble.

I had to make 8 trillion copies for the sub, write extensive lesson plans and notes for the sub, notify other teachers of the sub (in case all hell broke loose). And then when I returned the following day, I had to parse through the mounds of paperwork, parent notes, and detention slips seemingly thrown all over my desk and workspace (not stacked neatly as I would do).

Actually, I think I only took 1 personal day in 4 years of teaching and that was because I had to have a 3-hour gestational diabetes test that required morning fasting.

My shopping excursion on my birthday reminded me alot of that personal day experience. Not so much on the preparation end....but on the return.

I went to the mall in search of coordinating outfits for our family picture, which I intend to take when G gets his 1-year photos made. So this wasn't just a la-di-da, no purpose except wasting time shopping trip. And bear in mind, I don't really like to shop anyway, even for a la-di-da kind of thing.

So I went to Old Navy. Yuck.
Then I went to The Gap. Yuck.
Nothing but ugly striped rugby shirts for boys. And I figured since I am waaaay picky about what G wears for his pictures I better find his outfit first.

So I went to Gymboree. I found a cute orange/green stripped pant with orange shirt for G, but then I struggled to find something for N. So I left.

I went to Children's Place since I had bought N an outfit there awhile back.
Again, ugly rugby shirts, except these had numbers on them.

Back to Gymboree. After much hemming and hawing, I found a green top for N with cute, fall-colored leggings that coordinate with the original orange outfit I found for G. Spent $60 on their outfits which is ridiculous, but this will be our only family picture for awhile. And every other article of fall/winter clothing I bought for them (save that one Children's Place outfit) was from consignment sales. So I didn't feel too rotten about being a little frivolous.

Now onto mom and dad. Went back to Old Navy and found a green blouse for myself that matches the green in G's outfit and N's leggings, and found a plaid button-down shirt for D that coordinates with everything else. D and I might be wearing nothing but our undies with our shirts cause I wasn't gonna even bother with pants. We'll just have the photographer snap us from the shoulders up.

After all this, I was frickin' worn out...not as bad as I would have been had the kids been with me, but still. So I bought myself a mound of food for lunch and had what I think is my 1st meal alone in 4.5 years (as in not having brunch with friends; really and truly eating solo). I told D that, and he looked at me incredulously. Really, the 1st meal alone in 4.5 years? Leisurely. I got to chew and swallow my food without having to get up and get someone milk or water or parmesan cheese or a napkin or a fork. I didn't have to feed anyone else before I took the first bite of my own food. I did enjoy that part of my shopping experience.

As soon as my feet hit the linoleum, I remembered the personal day return to school. G and N pretty much met me at the door and more or less hung on me for the next 4 hours, whining and asking me for various things. There weren't mounds of new crap all over the house....but the mounds that were there when I left were still there, waiting for me to straighten them up. The cats started meowing for food as soon as they saw me....because apparently I must be the only one to shake just the exact amount of kibble into their bowls to satisfy their picky feline selves.

So going out for a couple hours is mostly pointless because I don't get the full benefit of relaxing, as one would if she were gone for a weekend or week like on a vacation, but a couple of hours is just long enough for the kids to miss me and for me to get out of my house groove (which then takes a couple hours to get back into once I am home).

At least I got some well-coordinated outfits. I will look back on this excursion as a victory when I see our lovely faces on our wall, looking dandy and dapper in our new outfits.

No comments: