Adsense

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Birthday weekend

Nope, not G's birthday. His is the 26th of this month. The 13th is my 35th birthday. While in no way as troublesome as 29 was to me, 35 definitely feels a little heavy.

My mom had me when she was 35, so as a kid, the age seemed old. I always imagined her looking a little worn and haggard, exactly the way I look now....in desperate need of a haircut, sloppily dressed, sans cosmetics.

And 35 is the magical "advanced maternal age" number, so even though I won't really feel put out to pasture until 40, I can feel my cells aging a little faster than they did even a couple days ago.

My plans for the weekend include going to my mom and dad's tomorrow for a family feast---roast and cupcakes (and a couple side dishes thrown in between). Saturday I have requested a couple hours worth of shopping time by myself to purchase coordinating outfits for a family picture. D and I are going out to dinner on Sunday night to a real restaurant....not Qdoba, not Fazoli's. A restaurant with linen tablecloths, expensive bottles of wine, mood music. The only bad thing about this is I will have to clean up a little bit (which is the one thing I adore about being a stay-at-home mom---I can be a total scrub and nobody questions my hygiene habits---they assume it is lack of time, when in fact it is lack of interest).

So happy birthday to me. Here's to 35 more.

2 comments:

Giselle said...

Happy birthday!

I remember when 35 seemed really old too. Now I think that 60 seems young...because my partents are 60 and they are still doing cool things like leaving for 3 weeks in Europe.

Anonymous said...

I tend to think like Giselle, but birthdays have never been a big deal for me. The big 40 is looming ahead for me this year..so that may change. Now that Giselle brought it up I am a little concerned since I'll still have 2 kids in college at 60:( Don't see 3 week trips to Europe in my near future!

Beth