Adsense

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

From whence the rant came....

Normally my blog is just a big vent for stay-at-home mom stuff. Nothing too heavy here, so my political/religion rant was a little out of context.

I seem to have a history of saying or emailing something that I consider pretty neutral or innocuous but which starts a big ole honking chain reaction of hurt feelings. And so this story begins.

A friend/neighbor sent me (and a bunch of other people whom I later learned were her church friends and family) an email about Obama being the Anti-Christ according to the Book of Revelation. Now I am certainly no Bible scholar...because as anyone who grew up Catholic knows, Catholics know only 2 of the three Bs---beer and bingo, not bible....but I also suspected it was a lot of false information.

So I replied to all and provided 2 links (one from snopes.com) that explain that the whole Obama as Anti-Christ thing is bunk. All I said was, "Here are 2 links for anyone interested in a different perspective."

I figured since I am not a practicing religious anything and received this email, there may be others like me on the list. And unless I'm mistaken, I don't think anyone's GOP radar goes off when I am in the vicinity.

Apparently not.

Soon after, I received an email from 2 people on the list. One told me that her family doesn't get their biblical interpretations from snopes.com. The second told me, and I quote, "people like you shouldn't be allowed to live in this country," and that I should go move to the Middle East and wear a towel on my head.

Anyone who knows me even a little can see that this has been fodder for a whole lot of late-night stewing and festering.

So what is bothering me about the whole thing? Oh, where do I begin?

Both replies I received had a tone like, "How dare you reply to us believers with your snopes.com information?," which made me wonder whether I violated some code of email ethics by replying to all.
But I figure that
1. if I am sent an email, then I am allowed to reply to it.
and
2. if I, a heathen, was on the list then perhaps other heathens were too who wouldn't necessarily subscribe to the beliefs laid out about Obama/Anti-Christ.

And the second email was littered with misspellings and poor grammar....it made the Language Arts teacher in me cringe. Lord knows I have my prejudices and stereotypes which I fight within myself on a regular basis, but I know many Christians who are educated, kind, thoughtful and eloquent. Unfortunately for the sender of this email, I couldn't help but be reminded of the stereotype of strong Christian believers as illiterate, po-dunk yahoos.

And then just the fanaticism of the whole thing. The Bible is a good guide to life, but so is the Koran and a variety of other religious texts that espouse being kind and loving to others. I just can't help but think people who base their whole entire existence on 1 book or piece of writing, irregardless of the book or writing, are narrow-minded. Wouldn't people think I was a little screwy if I based my whole outlook on life on the Betty Crocker cookbook? Or Lord of the Rings? Or the Bill of Rights?

Anyone building a house wants a good, solid foundation, and the Bible can be part of that, but doesn't a sensible, educated, wise person want concrete and rebar and every available strong material he/she can find to build the foundation of the house. The 3rd little pig used brick, but he also used mortar.

So there it is.

This is the 2nd time in less than a year that something I've done or said has bothered a neighbor. So either I am the problem or I happened to move into a neighborhood of people more sensitive than me. Who'd a thunk it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I just don't get people!! I guess I didn't realize that being a good Christian meant being a closed minded religious intolerant zealot. They really thought you shouldn't be allowed to live in this country because you don't think Obama is the Anti-Christ? I mean really? Makes you just wanna smack their head against a wall doesn't it ;)

Cuz_I'm_The_Mom said...

I got the one that involved a list involving Muslim male extremists between the ages of 17 and 40. It was entitled WAKE UP AMERICA! Here is my response, with which I employed the ever-handy REPLY ALL.

Hi, folks, and peace be with you!

I usually just have a smidge of irritation when I've wasted precious dial-up download minutes only to get yet another eRumor/urban legend.(yes, I live in the back of beyond and still use dial-up) However, I read this one in it's entirety from the 13 basically historical facts to the "God's love" closing. I know it was just a FWD: from a well-meaning friend but I felt compelled to respond.

Let’s deal with the most obvious inconsistency. Obama was born in 1961. I’ll let you do the math on that one. Also, there has been absolutely no proof that Barack Obama is a Muslim extremist. C'mon now...how long does it take to research this stuff? Let me interject here that YES, I am a Christian. Furthermore, I have absolutely no intention of foisting my political beliefs upon you. (Isn’t it ironic? Doncha think?)

I've often wondered just exactly how God is being glorified by forwarding false witness? And by the way, look at the Subject item: Read this—It is frightning. Ask yourself, where does fear come from? And while I’m at it, from whence does the misspelling of frightening come, much less the numerous grammatical errors?

This time, I'm reminding my friends-in-Christ (i.e. YOU) that next time, pass along a lovely prayer for YOUR candidate, if you feel strongly for him/her. Better yet, pray that Christians will take their true convictions into the polling places on Election Day. Most importantly, pray that God will lead our country's politicians to represent Americans in a manner that brings honor, not derision.

I believe strongly that one should vote based upon his/her morals before anything else. Let's get out there and vote based on our own personal convictions and take the high road when receiving eRumors about a candidate that, while you may not support his/her stance on the issues, we must with full faith and honor to God treat with respect and love.</b

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm all stewed up about this one. I don't know if I could take the high road and not respond back (with grammatical errors corrected, of course:) Unbelievable!
Beth

Keri said...

I can't believe the absurd responses you got to your benign (in my opinion) reply! As a Christian myself, those types of things embarass me beyond belief, and I'm pretty sure I can say that God Himself isn't real thrilled with them, either. I sincerely hope I fall into the camp of the more positive Christians that you know!

Thanks for sharing these thoughts on touchy subjects. Having known you for as long as I have, I don't doubt that you've given your views a lot of thought, and I can only imagine the extent of the "late-night stewing" that you've been doing as a result of this episode. Hopefully you can put it behind you soon...

Anonymous said...

I just think you should move. Next to me. But you have to wear a towel on your head in the yard, okay?
I got one of those emails too from a very close and long-time friend and was just shocked at her ignorance, and spent many hours thinking about how to handle it. Thanks for doing it for me!!

InHisGrip said...

Hey Neighbor, I have been thinking about you since our "yard sale" conversation. I remembered you blogged about this unfortunate and might I add embarrassing email situation. I just wanted to apologize for my immaturity. I have no words concerning my brother and his poor and ignorant grammar - we don't talk much anymore. I look back at it now and think "what were you thinking???" Anyway, please except my most humble apology. See you around!