Adsense

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Inconsistency and/or illogical thinking drives me bonkers

When I think back on why I completely lost my shit and ended up on the news in 2019 after the homecoming dress code debacle at N's school, a large part of it was because of the utter lack of consistency of the school. 

The year before the school didn't enforce its own dress code. If the school administrators aren't going to be consistent, you cannot expect the students and parents to be. Why would they think that suddenly in 2019 the dress code is REAL and ENFORCEABLE when all other previous years it was not.

While I definitely think women's bodies should be not policed, that fact was almost secondary to my main issue which was the utter inconsistency (and the administration calling the cops on their own students for whom they are supposed to be responsible). 

I've had two recent consumer events that have been inconsistent and forced me to write emails with CAPITAL LETTERS.

The first was with Shutterfly.

D has an account on which I log onto and order our pictures. I had gotten some printed at Walgreens and they were blurry. So I contacted Shutterfly customer service via chat (while logged on) to see if there was a remedy. 

The person was very helpful until she requested the name and email of the account. When I said it is my husband's account but the VISA is mine, she said he had to go on the chat or call in to verify. 

At this point, it occurred to me although definitely not this person that I, me, the person currently logged into my husband's account, could type in the chat or even in a new chat: This is DL. Yes, you are talking to my wife. Please give us a credit.

It also occurred to me that Shutterfly has, perhaps, excessive security requirements. I mean, I've had to have my husband verify me on health insurance and his investments, but Shutterfly? 

So my husband had to call in and talk to a different customer service rep who had NO FUCKING CLUE what he was talking about. 

It was an utter joke. 

The second inconsistent/illogical consumer situation is with Ibotta, the online coupon place. 

Now, I have been ordering my stuff online at Kroger and Target and everywhere since March 2020. 

I have been submitting online receipts to Ibotta for the past 10 months.

But apparently, an online receipt from Total Wine is a problem. 


So getting this email forced me to write a customer service letter IN CAPITAL LETTERS in which I said something on the order of

1. Hello motherfuckers. There is a global pandemic and tons of people are ordering online and doing curbside pickup. This is a really stupid time to be sticklers about in-store receipts given fucking current events. 

and

2. You took all my online receipts for the past 10 months and now SUDDENLY you have a problem.

I am not anti-rule.

I am anti stupid rules that companies and schools and governments and organizations don't even follow themselves.

My 13-year-old, after the school dress code incident, told me "You're a Karen, but a good one."

I can be a Karen but I generally won't be one over simple human error. I tip well for pickup orders and generally try to offer grace to others. 

But over things that are probably written in the "rules" in some binder and don't make a lick of sense, those I will go all Kareny over. 

No comments: