Adsense

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

A delight (#3)

I continue reading Ross Gay's The Book of Delights which is delightful. 

When there is a pandemic and you're a compliant person who really doesn't want to have her go with a virus of new origin and are staying home virtually all the time, it makes it slightly more difficult to find delights. 

Did I mention it is winter, too?

However, I did purchase a Christmas gift for my cats, and by my cats, I mean mostly me. 

The room formerly known as dining has become my office and a sitting room for the family, and in this room is a large window. I have placed air plants on it and near it because I'm not a very good plant mother when it comes to soil and indoors. 


The window provides me some distraction during the day, and it occurred to me on a quick run to get cat litter and kibble sometime in early December that the cats would probably love to sit on the chairs (which they already do) and sit on the table (which they already do) and look out the window (which they already do) but have something new outside the window of particular interest to them. 

And it occurred to me that not only would I be entertained by watching the birds who might flit by the window when they visited the feeder, I might also be entertained watching the cats watch the birds. 

A twofer!


And I have been entertained in a quiet way by these feathered visitors. 

I have wondered which ones will be able to squeeze their bodies through the metal rectangles and which ones will be thwarted. I have noticed their sizes and shapes and the colors of their bodies. 

Of course, this is the kind of thing that I would find fascinating before a pandemic, but I wouldn't be quiet enough or home enough to really have it make a difference in my day. 

Life would be too chaotic for me to take delight in a visiting avian friend. 

No comments: