Adsense

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The quest for 1 g*d-damn fitted sheet

I try to have a waste not/want not mentality.  I have to tell myself repeatedly to just throw the shirts with holes in them away for the love of Pete.  Same with undies and socks.  And if these clothing items are in any way salvageable I make rags out of them, extending their usefulness as long as I can.

I wash out plastic freezer bags and reuse them again and again.
The backsides of N's school papers are used for doodling or at the printer when she wants to print coloring sheets from Barbie.com.
I use clear packaging tape on board books when they split in half.
I don't purchase new dvds---only gently used ones.

When the elastic on my fitted sheets becomes so stretched out they no longer grip the mattress and end up coming lose as D and I toss and turn during the night, I don't throw them out or cut them up for rags--my mother, the seamstress extraordinaire, turns them into small sheets for G's toddler bed.

Right now, I have 2 purple pillowcases and a purple sheet that I had been using with my cream/green/purple fitted sheet until its elastic went kablooey.  I continued using the crappy fitted sheet for quite awhile because I had looked around for a replacement sheet to match the purple sheets/cases but without any luck.  I looked at Target.  I looked at Wal-Mart.  I looked at Macy's.  Most places only carry sheet sets, not individual sheets.  And if they did carry individual sheets, they carried only solids, and I needed some kind of print with purple in it.

I looked online at Kohl's and Bed, Bath & Beyond and JCPenney and all over google searching for "king-size fitted sheets only" and "pattern king-size fitted sheet only" and "fitted sheets sold separately."

So what do you get when you are trying to only use what you need and not be wasteful and blah, blah, blah?

You end up paying $41 to have 1 stupid fitted sheet that has a pattern with purple in it shipped to you.

Even when I try not to waste resources, I end up wasting time and/or money.  

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I really think that you save enough money that it is worth the time and energy. I probably throw away or discard things too easily.