Adsense

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Vacation highlights....so far

The weather doth stinketh. It has NOT been the highlight. Cool. Too fucking cool. And not in a Fonzie kind of way, either.

But when life hands you lemons you make lemonade. (Or you stare at the goddamn lemons and curse alot, but that's not realistic when you have children who must be entertained.)

So we have been sightseeing.

Monday was the Gulf Coast Zoo, a small, but rather nice morning trip. They have numerous tigers, two bears, deer, lions and lionesses, camels, llamas, monkeys of all kinds, and more that I can't remember. N fed the goats, but one rascally one grabbed her cup of animal food at the end and took off with it. The look of disbelief on her face was priceless, as was the gloating smirk of the goat that got away.

Tuesday was Fort Morgan. Both kids liked this. G pushed his stroller all over the place, and N ran through the fort's various chambers and halls. The wind whipped us around like crazy, which gives a new meaning to the phrase, "Blow the man down."

Today was Dauphin Island, which required a ferry ride. Have I mentioned I get motion sick?? Have I mentioned I'm pregnant?? I spent a little too much time in the car on the ferry going over, requiring me to sit very quietly for a bit after we docked. I would not be a candidate for Steve Zissou's Belafonte. The Estuarium was neat. N got to hold crabs, see an octopus eat a crab, and touch preserved stingrays. On the ride back, I made sure to stand near the railing, letting the wind blow my face and keeping my eyes firmly set on the horizon. Much better voyage. D said if I had been a European colonist they would have sent me back home in a dinghy after the first day.

The best day weather-wise was when we arrived, at 5:00 pm on Saturday. Around 89 degrees and sunny. We had to stop for a restroom break, and before N had stepped out of the van, she said, "This heat is killing me." Obviously, the weather gods answered and have provided cooler than normal temps ever since.

We've had our share of crises as well, which is par for the course with young kids. Tonight has been the worst. It was apparently "injury night." We ate dinner at LuLu's (excellent mahi mahi tacos). G had a very poopy and leaky diaper. N fell on her way to the car and scraped her knees. Back at the condo, G fell off the bed and got a nice goose-egg on his forehead.

As I am typing this, I still feel like I'm on the ferry, which makes it a little hard to fall asleep. That, and I took about a 3 hour nap today because yesterday I went without.

I am hoping the next two days are less windy and a little warmer so the kids can enjoy the outside pool. But we shall see. If not, we shall make another pitcher of lemonade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the weather...it's been gorgeous here:), but that's what always seems to happen. Have a safe trip home.

Beth