Adsense

Thursday, November 29, 2012

The twisty Frito episode

Let's just say all rationality flew out the window yesterday afternoon when G awoke from his nap.  One would think a nap would make a child more calm and reasonable, but that is not what happened when he asked for a snack of twisty Fritos, and I told him we didn't have any more.

(Twisty Fritos were purchased, like most not-fit-for-consumption-foods that I purchase, while I had a child in the grocery with me.  I will purchase 1 item to be shared by the family as a means of getting my sh*t done.)

What followed was something I think might happen often in an actual insane asylum:

"I want twisty Fritos!!!!!," screamed G.

"We ate them all and there aren't any more," I replied.

"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.

"We don't have any more in the house and I can't get anymore right this instant," I replied.  (N was soon to arrive home from the bus, and M was still napping, but even if they hadn't been I wouldn't have dropped everything to run to Kroger to purchase twisty Fritos.)

"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
G is flailing on the floor, kicking at me.  Getting up and following me around as I try to find a safe place to hide as I try to ignore him.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
G is crying, slobbering, snorting, whimpering.  I'm about ready to go lock myself in my car.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
"I WANT TWISTY FRITOS!!!!!," screamed G.
I may have used some highly inappropriate words with my son because I thought I was gonna effing lose my mind if he didn't shut the hell up immediately.

After he had calmed down, I tried to explain to him that it really frustrates me when he continues to 1.) scream in my ear and 2.) carry on about something I can do nothing about at that moment.  I asked him if he would become frustrated if I demanded he turn into a girl, if I screamed at him over and over, "G, turn into a girl RIGHT THIS SECOND!!!!!!"

I would be curious to know if there are studies on how effed up stay-at-home mothers' heads are after dealing with these sorts of behaviors ad nauseum.

No comments: