Adsense

Friday, July 29, 2011

How is he gonna play out?

I really wonder how G is gonna turn out.  I (sorta) jokingly say that he will end up in law somehow, either as attorney or criminal.  I like to think I know how to parent my children, but G completely throws me for a loop.

He has the speech issue which has improved immensely since the beginning of the year, although we have back-slid a little this summer due to mom's inability to stay on a mouth-exercise schedule.  But I am wondering about his fine-motor skills now.  When N was his age, she could write her name (it wasn't pretty, but she could do it).  G can barely hold a pencil and make circles.

I know a lot of this is because I had blessed time to work with N on her writing, and that is something I do not have with G.  When N was almost 4, G was a non-mobile baby who was happy to sit in the bouncy for extended periods of time sucking on his fingers.  G has an almost 2-year-old brother.  He and M often nap at the same time, so in the mornings I cannot devote time to sitting with G at the table and working on writing because M will be hollering, pawing at us and providing distraction for G (and, lord knows, it doesn't take much to distract G).  If G doesn't nap, he is borderline catatonic and hasn't the stamina or interest in working on writing.

G knows his letters, knows all their sounds, can count to 20, knows his colors, knows his shapes (except maybe rectangle).  He loves to read and has begun to tell his own made-up stories (last night's was about a volcano with fire and dragons in it which eventually segued into something about dinosaurs eating people up).  When I think about it in terms like these, I think he is pretty on-the-ball.

But he just feels so far behind N at the same age, although perhaps I just do not remember how immature N was at that age.  I do not remember how primitive her writing was, her language skills.

Or maybe it is because of his vexing pester-you-til-you-want-to-die personality.  When I hear stories about my Uncle Jerry, who allegedly bounced off the walls at birth and was the world's biggest tease and general pain in the arse, I think G inherited those same traits.  Or maybe his persistence is simply childhood OCD taking its form (and we know whom he inherited this from.....).

I guess I must plug away, mothering him as best I can, and let time take its course.

1 comment:

Giselle said...

-sigh- The comparing game.

I frequently have to remind myself that indeed, Lily is NOT doing what Andrew could do. And that is okay. She may not ever do as well as him. And that is okay. The goal is to make her successful within her own abilities and talents. Right?

But still, when she can't add 4+1 without using her fingers (and starting with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...), I wonder if she'll ever make it ;) She will. G will. Just on their own path and in their own time.

Or at least that's what I tell myself.