Adsense

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A little beef (aka another vent by the stay-at-home momma)

Even though people tend to think of me (I think) as being really "on the ball," I do have some sloth-like qualities, and these qualities are part of the reason why stay-at-home motherhood is a good fit for me.

First, I hate getting dressed up in anything more snazzy than workout shorts, a top and flip-flops.  In winter, my attire is jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt and my house slippers.  I LOVE the dress requirement of stay-at-home mothering.

Secondly, I am not a terribly hygienic person.  I don't usually bathe every day.  I do change my undies every day, but my clothes are worn until I can't remember how many days I've worn them or they are pretty crusty/nasty.  In this heat, that means I wear them until they stink....which is about 3 days.  I mostly remember to brush my teeth everyday.  Since kids are pretty stinky themselves (sitting in their own urine and poop) and aren't big on hygiene, the stay-at-home mothering arrangement is a big win.

Thirdly, I really like keeping my own schedule, being my own boss as it were.  If I need to clean, we stay home and I clean.  If I am desperate to get out with the kids, we go somewhere.  During the school year, there is a nice blend of structure from N's school (and G's entrance into preschool this September) and chaotic "Who knows what the hell is gonna happen" because you never know what kids are gonna do from one minute to the next.  This need for managed chaos is part of the reason I really loved teaching. There was structure to the day, but I was my own boss within my classroom, running things as I saw fit and seeing where students would go with whatever we were learning.

But in terms of routine and scheduling, what REALLY sticks in my craw is when people act as if my schedule and routine, whatever it happens to be that day or week, really doesn't matter because it's not a paying job.  Like it doesn't affect me at all if plans are canceled or rearranged at the last minute.  Like since a "real" job isn't in play, my plans can just be set on the back burner.

Rodney Dangerfield ain't the only one who gets no respect.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

I agree with all your items in terms of what is awesome about stay-at-home parenting. The schedule stuff bothers me as well - our routines are important to us, even if everyone can't see why.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one who wears clothing more than once!