Adsense

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Am I hot???

What's this? No self-pitying romp today?
Nope--

I happened to read about the dating site HotEnough.org, which is only for extremely good-looking folks. Allegedly, you send in pics of yourself (including 1 full-body shot) and are then rated by people who are already members on the site. You have to be rated an "8" or higher in order to become a member.

The article was in my local paper and included a pic of one of the co-founders, who is not surprisingly, a man. He wasn't a bad looking individual, but if I was gonna rate him I certainly wouldn't have been as generous as those who gave him an "8.2." His eyes are set too far apart, and he's kinda working a Matt Damon horse-teeth thing.

Who in their right minds would even set themselves up to try to become a member of one of these sites? Aside from allowing perfect strangers to rate you, assuming you became a member, you know for a fact that the most important thing to the people with whom you talk on this site will be how you look. And you'd be talking to people who are so wrapped up in their own looks that they had to find a specific web site for people who are hot like them. God, I suspect the site might run on the ego-power of these individuals.

What do "hot" people think about or talk about? They are like an alien species to me. Is it possible to be hot, but not realize you're particularly hot? If you are hot but don't recognize your hotness, are you shallow enough to be able to survive a site like HotEnough.org? Do these hot people have conventions? Are there mirrored walls everywhere?

I only know 1 or 2 people who might be considered "hot,"--my hairdresser and his wife. And I think they are both nice people, but I find it a little annoying how often my hairdresser stops primping my hair during a cut in order to look in the mirror and fluff out his own hair. Actually he doesn't do this as much as he used to. Maybe he's mellowing out as he's getting older. He and I get along very well, but there is a definite "divide" between me and him and I suspect it's his hotness that gets in the way....or my lack of hotness.

Anyway, thank god that 1. I am not single and participating in online dating, and 2. I am not hot. I imagine it takes a lot of work and effort to be hot. Working out at the gym, spending exorbitant amounts of money on cosmetics, hair products and self-tanning supplies, saying "Go get em tiger" to yourself in the mirror prior to every check of the email.

Attraction is such a weird thing, far more than just what is hot. For example, the guitar player sexiness phenomenon. I have seen some of the butt-ugliest, skinny-ass rock stars on stage, guys I would kick to the curb in a heartbeat under any other circumstances, but see them play those strings and they are hotter than the sun.

Years ago, I had a thing for Harvey Keitel, a man who is certainly not high up there when it comes to standards of beauty. But if you've ever watched The Piano, you know he oozes sexiness.

Anyway, I personally go for the tall, thin, dark, dorky type...which is why I fell for D. And he clearly goes for the smart-looking, short-haired, insane type, which is why he fell for me.
We couldn't stand each other if we were hot. We dig each other's not-hotness.

No comments: