Adsense

Sunday, July 11, 2021

My thoughts on donuts (so much extra)

I am a minimalist at heart and could become fairly ascetic if my family would allow it. (They like stuff more than I do and have a harder time getting rid of stuff than I do; just ask D about his CD collection in the basement closet.) I just don't require a whole lot of stuff nor do I like a whole lot of stuff. Rather than bringing me joy (however temporary), it brings me discomfort and this has intensified the older I've gotten.

I owned a Fitbit for a short time (bought secondhand) and decided I hated it. 

I have never owned an Apple watch nor will I ever. 

We don't have an Alexa nor will we ever.

We don't have a Ring doorbell.

I wouldn't replace the outside lights to get automatic sensor ones so D managed to find a switch that will make the lights come on at dusk and go off at dawn (and not as wasteful as replacing lights that are old but still totally working). 

I have and still wear a pair of sandals that I bought right before we went to Disney....in 2011. I own and wear one pair of tennis shoes, 2 pair of sandals, and one pair of flip flops. My winter boots are the same winter boots I have worn since before D and I married.

I am not in any way an "extra" person, but it hit home recently when I realized that I DESPISE what has happened to donuts which makes me sound like a very grumpy old person but I do not care.

Donuts are so freaking MUCH anymore. I can't even tolerate to take a bite because there is so much frou-frou now. Candy and cookies and doodads sprinkled on top to kingdom come.


Photo by Kobby Mendez on Unsplash

Of course, this is in no way surprising. I realized during the cupcake explosion of several years back that even though 7 inches of icing and whatnots on top of a cupcake look amazing, they taste like an overwhelming blob of diabetic coma. 

The same thing has happened to cookies, too.

And cars.

When we bought our new-to-us minivan almost two years ago, I was like...

I don't want leather seats. 

I don't need the trunk door to lift automatically.

I don't need to be able to start the car remotely. 

I don't need GPS.

I don't need heated seats (which always make me feel like I've peed myself whenever they come on without me knowing it when I'm in someone else's car). 

I don't need/want a sunroof/moonroof.

I don't need a television in the car for people to watch. 

I don't need all the buttons and widgets that I might also find on the freaking Space Station. 

I'm not saying that all this stuff isn't cool. Sometimes I find it very cool. It is all definitely visually stunning, as are the donuts with all the shit on top of them. 

But the substance is remarkably cloying. 

No comments: