Adsense

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Iterations of angry (and seriously, WWJD?)

I am beyond angry at this point in the pandemic, especially as I see the rates of hospitalizations climb with Delta.

I know people who refuse the medical science of COVID vaccines but willingly take the medical science of cancer treatments. They refuse to put a vaccine in their bodies but will put chemo in their bodies. 

I know people who lack all empathy and imagination to put themselves in the shoes of other people until something directly impacts them and then suddenly, they experience a change of heart and "get it." 

While I don't call myself a Christian (because people who blast their Christianity all over the place have been, in my experience, sort of assholes; the bad apples have more than spoiled the bunch, I'm afraid), I want to live by the Golden Rule. 

I have tried to be sympathetic to people who are scared of the vaccine. I have tried to understand where people are coming from who think it is a ploy or a government scare tactic. 

But there are so many who spout off about Jesus all day long and yet will not in any way live by the Golden Rule to do unto others as they would want others to do unto them. They march themselves to church every Sunday but will do little to care for the least of these. 

And Lord knows, I do a shitty job of caring for the least of these, but I don't blather Jesus and Christianity all over people and then still do a shitty job of caring for the least of these. 

Irony is the opposite of what you expect, and I would expect people who claim to live under one master (Jesus) who made the ultimate sacrifice for them to be willing to sacrifice for others in some capacity. 

I have been spending a lot of time asking myself "What would Jesus think of all this?" 

Would Jesus feel proud of his Christians who reject a vaccine made with the intention of saving the lives of the sick and the poor and the chronically ill? Or even the young and healthy? Wouldn't Jesus want us to help our brothers? 

Would Jesus be proud of people who shout and yell about wearing masks if it means it keeps others from suffering? 

I am done hoping and wishing and praying for these people to act in a Christian way; I'm now praying for myself to work through this deep anger I feel for humankind. 


No comments: