Adsense

Sunday, September 24, 2017

What "taking a knee" represents to me (little ole English teacher)

Nevermind that the president should be governing and not bloviating on Twitter. Let's just put that aside.

I have been thinking about the symbolism of the act of "taking a knee," and it is powerful. So powerful, in fact, that I wish I had an interest in attending a sporting event so that I, too, could take a knee.

When I teach, I introduce students to the words connotation and denotation. 

Denotation is the literal meaning of a word. For example, my wedding ring is a circle of gold, a piece of jewelry.

Connotation is the idea or feeling (or symbolic meaning) that the word evokes in addition to its denotative meaning. My wedding ring is a commitment, a promise, an act of love, infinity.

"Taking a knee" is literally a half-stand. The body is nearly half the size it would be if the person stood on both feet.

But symbolically, taking a knee has many possible connotative meanings.

"Taking a knee" is reverential, although it would be more reverential if both knees were on the ground, as someone might do in a Catholic mass. When I see people lambasting athletes who "take a knee," I think they fail to notice the importance of this reverence.

When we see people knighted, they "take a knee." It is a statement of respect, of dignity in the face of authority. It is a great honor to be knighted. (That link is not high-quality journalism or anything, but the picture serves the purpose for what I'm saying.)

Here is a better one to make my point:
"Taking a knee" is also symbolic of not being on equal footing, and this is why the athletes do it. They are not speaking for themselves but in symbolic deference to others who do not have equal footing.

"Taking a knee" as the athletes do it is symbolic of not being fully degraded. This would be a representation of someone who has given up all dignity at the hands of an oppressor:


Hands and knees on the ground in complete supplication.....that is connotative of complete loss of dignity, power, and self-respect. This body shape can be both negative, as seen above, and positive, as when worshippers do this in prayer, offering up everything to God.

If athletes wanted to give a giant F-U to America, they would stand their full measure and hold up their middle fingers during the anthem. That would be a clear, unequivocal symbol of disrespect.

But "taking a knee" is anything but a giant F-U.

It is peaceful and gentle. When Jesus washed his disciples' feet, he certainly didn't do it at a full stand. He was almost certainly on one or both knees.

And that is another important part of the meaning. "Taking a knee" also symbolizes being ready to offer service to whomever you kneel before. By kneeling during the anthem, athletes may be offering service to the betterment of the country, offering service to those who do not feel they can "take a stand."

I know Twitter is no place for nuance, but it would certainly be nice if it was.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Carrie - This post is on point. It's refreshing to hear smart, sensible rhetoric.

I had a question on an archived post. If you have a moment, can you reach me at virgilnci(@)gmail(dot)com?

Thanks for your time in advance, and I hope all is well. V